Airbnb should have a mandatory box for guests to fill out arrival time before booking

Answered!
Natalie725
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Airbnb should have a mandatory box for guests to fill out arrival time before booking

I have mentioned in my listing that guests who book must state their arrival time upon booking request, as well as reminding them down the line when they still don't mention it in the first message. It seems quite apparent that none of the potential guests read any of the listing details....

And so, I think Airbnb should should have a mandatory box for guests to fill out arrival time before booking. Would that make things better? Or make expectations worse when they don't turn up at that time... I just don't know anymore! It's frustrating to not be able to fully relax in the evenings until they arrive. 

1 Best Answer
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Natalie725  and others.... I have to admit, most of our guests let us know when they will arrive, and usually, they do arrive +-1h on time. Of course, as we are off-site hosts, we would like them to be punctual so we don't have to spend our time and money in a cafe while waiting for them.

But...

I booked Airbnb twice for my friends and me. We traveled by car. We intended to depart from home at 8 AM but were late for half an hour. Then they decided to go and buy some sandwiches... then we stopped to fill the tank and drink coffee, then it was heavy traffic on the road. I tried to tell them we should arrive when we said we will but it didn't bother them at all. So I phoned our host to tell them we might be late half an hour or so.. then I phoned him again when we were close... then we got lost because our GPS directed us to the wrong one way street. So in the end, we were about 45 min late.

As a host myself I knew we are taking our host's time and I felt bad about it but my friends didn't understand it at all, like OK, we are late, he will wait so what! They didn't think about our host might have new guests every other day and if all of them are late for an hour it's 15 hours a month wasted on waiting 😞

So, in fact, I am surprised how many of our guests do arrive on time or at least keep us informed during their trip 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Natalie725 

yes it would be useful if :

1. guest would not be able to book without filling it
  2. it would be within the host's check-in time

For some time this option was available, I don't know if it still is, but the guest was able to put any time he desires. It was not determined by the host's check-in time

I definitely agree. I have set a flexible check in time because I work from home. I don't mind if it's afternoon or evening.. But I would still just like to know a time, so I can pop out and run errands freely, or simply just be able to put my feet up knowing the moment when guests will arrive.. not waiting for the door to buzz out of nowhere. Hope they implement something like this down the line!

@Natalie725 

we require to know the EXACT time of arrival, we have it in our house rules, prebooking message and in our first message after booking if necessary.

If our guests don't tell us we contact them on the day of check-in and if they are unreachable we send them our final message :

"Dear XX, it seems we still don't have your time of arrival but no problem, you can let us know when you arrive at the address and we will do our best to come and meet you within 1 hour. Have a nice trip and see you :)"

It works every time, we get an answer within minutes 😄 😄

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I loved this advice and it works like a treat! 🙂

I somehow missed this message until now. That's great advice thanks! Just goes to show how they do read the messages, but can't be bothered to reply unless there's a possibility they'd have to wait an hour... 

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

Yes I understand completely, it is frustrating waiting around & not knowing when guests will show up. I am constantly asking guests from the moment they book when they plan on checking in. Some respond, some don't & some pick a check in time outside of the check in time we state in our listing. So a mandatory check in time to be sent to hosts would be amazing & only allowing it within their check in window. 

We have it in our House Rules: "* BE ON TIME: We'll expect you to work with us to find a mutually acceptable check-in time and commit to arriving at the agreed upon time."

Every guest is asked to agree to the house rules before booking.  This is the very first one.

And for someone who doesn't want to commit to a time and show up whenever suits them, like @Branka-and-Silvia0 , we send this message: 

"Since this is our home and there is no full-time staff, we would like to commit to an arrival time with you. You see, we have busy lives with commitments and jobs that often force us to be away from the house. There is no remote key or key box and one of us must be home to welcome you in and show you around. We'd hate to leave you stranded on the porch wanting to check in while we're off running errands or arriving at the front door in a bathrobe having just stepped into the shower (no one wants to see that!). We hope you understand. We'd be happy to put you down for a 5pm check in if that works for you. Then we can set about planning our day around your arrival."

This usually gets a response.  

Where on the listing can you ask guests to agree to the house rules? I would love to do this. I constantly get asked for the kitchen when we have not listed the kitchen as a shared space... or at all... among other things like food in the room etc.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I don't know, @Natalie725  if such a requirement would be better or worse.  Like so many hosts, I require that I am present at check in because I must introduce my dog to the guests.  Almost all the guests are respectful of that requirement.  Check in sometimes does not go smoothly due to a combination of travel plans and guest ignorance of the need to commit.  Fortunately my situation does allow some flexibility and while I may mention problems in a review, I usually don't.  If there is a pattern of disrespect or entitlement reflected in communication, I will mention it in the review.

Yeah I'm on the fence too.. But I would always prefer to get every boundary communicated before arrival, rather than guests ignorantly putting me in a bad mood until their check-out. Then my only justice, being a negative review. A time of arrival box could be the thing that helps a host have more freedom and not feel shackled to their home until check-in. But then, it could also turn hosts expectations into frustration when delays happen and guests don't update that delay info 

Hello! I've had this entitlement issue as well.  was wondering the best way of making a note of it in a review... without sounding confrontational? Thank-you.

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Natalie725, totally agree! So many people do not want to see established check in time, no matter if it is in the title and in the first line of the description. 
If they will be forced to put estimated time of arrival and obliged to communicate any changes - it will be perfect! 
As for me, those who are trying to book with me and are talking about different time of check in, than establishes, are just rude and disrespectful. No one is trying to negotiate open hours of supermarket, right?  

Hi Natalie,

Some of them still tried to negotiate earlier or late check in time.   🙂

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

A check box may end up causing more problems unless the system is set so the guest can only check a time that is within the host's allowed hours.  

I wouldn't like this, because we have flexible check-in so we can customize it for guests whenever possible and also to prevent people wanting to check in at 1am and not pay the night or show up at 6am.