Am I in jeopardy when I decline inquiries that ignore the listing description?

Am I in jeopardy when I decline inquiries that ignore the listing description?

Hi.

I lost money this summer and declined whenever a male inquirer wanted my bedroom because my only female roommate did not want to share a bathroom with more than one male.   I did change the ad to female only for the duration of her stay (all summer).    Then I had a bunch of couple inquiries so I also declined that on her behalf.    But because I did a favor to two different guests who had had rustic summers and wanted to bring in couples despite the no couples prohibition in the description (I didn't charge them), I decided to add an extra guest price so that might discourage couples from booking.    But instead I got an inquiry for my room downstairs for a couple which is really not suitable because I have an incoming longterm roommate who never agreed to that and I don't want to ask him at all.   The other roommate claimed he would be fine with it.

I am worried that because I declined them (I suggested that they book the room upstairs which is available for all but one of their dates) that airbnb may suspend my account for multiple declines.   My room's listing does not have an extra guest price because I didn't even WANT anyone asking that and I made a guest promise that he would not have an overnight guest when he moved downstairs so as not to disturb the female roommate downstairs.  

I also am worried about multiple late check-ins.    Last night, we waited til after 11pm for someone whose flight was delayed and we will have an even later check in - 2am in the future.  I am worried that this misdepicts me as a host who has guests "all hours of the night" when in fact, I have a neighbor who is always awake at that hour and makes a lot of noise on the ground floor at that time. 

Thanks in advance for any feedback. 

2 Replies 2
Nicholas103
Level 1
Bellevue, WA

I am pretty picky when selecting who I allow to stay at my home.  I decline many requests and at most I received a notice letting me know how much money I could have made if I had not declined these requests. 

I also struggled a few times with late night check ins.  I have put in firm rules around check in times and no longer allow people to check in after 10pm for any reason.  Before I accept a reservation I ask about the arrival time.  I let them know that check in ends at 10pm with no exceptions.  I get up early in the morning no matter what time I go to bed (internal clock that does not stop).  So I have made this a firm rule that I will no longer break.

You have to find what works for you and your life.  Good luck with your future reservations.

Richard-and-Dee0
Level 2
Poole, United Kingdom

I understood you can decline anyone you do not feel comfortable about.  We have had a few enquiries from 4 or more adults although our accommodation quite clearly states it is best suited for a couple with two children as our single beds are 2'6".

We are always very apologetic but more than 4 adults is not allowed by our insurance and at our price people are being very cheeky to try and squeeze extra adults in for free.  We have had no repercussions from declining them. I understand that if your house rules say one guest per room the guests have to tick a box to say that they agree to the house rules before they book so they cannot bring extra guests.

I was told by Airbnb that if more than your permitted number of guests arrive you are within your rights to deny the booking.

Our check in time is 10p.m. and again this is an option that we have included.  We tend to go to bed around 11p.m and this allows them to be up to an hour late although several of our bookings have wanted to come before our check in time of 3p.m rather than late at night

Hope this is helpful

Regards

Dee UK