As a host can I make it clear my political view points? Is that allowed by AIRBB?

Dan700
Level 2
Nipomo, CA

As a host can I make it clear my political view points? Is that allowed by AIRBB?

Is it allowed to openly say that I support LGBT rights, abortion rights, civil rights, Black Lives Matter, you get the idea. And is it ok to post an animation ( on my AIRBNB posting) that shows V.Putin ( a murder as stated by John McCain)  holding a miniture Trump pupet that is dancing? And what about supporting california seccession from USA, as we are hated and its clear that the USA does not want our votes to count the same as other states? ( EC fiasco) . And what about stating that I oppose Neo Nazis, like in Charlotte and to state that members of my own family died in WWII fighting Nazi Germany/Japan? Is that okay? And then there is the talk of a new civil war I have heard ELECTED GOP officals cheerfuly bring up? Can I say that if they want one can I point out we can simply avoid one by not doing business with each other, go our on ways in a peaceable way, forming a new country? Is saying any of this okay? Lastly I didnt want any of this but when I see a president choose Putin/murder as a friend ( over demcratically elected leaders) and claim love for a N Korean dictator/murderer, perhaps its time to take a stand? I recall other GOP presidents that did not choose this path, I was good with that. This new change in the GOP I think is a very different state of affiars and if its civil war they want maybe its time to do the small things that one can to remind them that this is what they are pushing for. In short , these are differnt times , now  we have state run media, a president who claims press is enemy of the people ( ala Joe Stalin) , etc. I think its time to stand up to it at any point you can, even if it cuts into your $$. Chasing more $$ should not make one blind to nor tolerate what is occuring here  in USA. Its called fascism. 

64 Replies 64

@Dan700 You are permitted to say just about anything you want about yourself in your User Profile, if it's important to you that future guests and hosts know which causes and candidates you support. You're free to decorate your property with LGBT rainbow flags or Black Lives Matter posters, or put political signs on your front lawn if you so please. And when you travel as a guest, you are free to seek out hosts who seem to share your beliefs.

But if you choose to air your opinions in a confrontational and negative tone, or impose them on people in inappropriate contexts, even those who agree with your views are likely to find it off-putting. Guests and hosts alike will get the impression that you're looking for a fight, and the last thing anyone needs in these turbulent times is more conflict.

The odds of a guest arriving at their Airbnb cottage in Nazi uniform are vanishingly slim; 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Well, Airbnb has no qualms whatsoever about making clear their own political viewpoints, @Dan700 . Whether or not they'd extend that same freedom of choice and expression to their hosts, would be a matter for debate. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/04/08/airbnb-bans-racists-white-supremacists-amercian-re...

“Actions based in racism and hatred associated with neo-Nazis, the alt-right, and white supremacists have no place in the Airbnb community. When we see people on the platform pursuing behavior that would be antithetical to our Community Commitment, we take appropriate action,” Airbnb wrote in a statement to The Tennessean.

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Susan17 

Thanks for that link 🙂  Bl**dy good on Airbnb for taking that stance!

Dan700
Level 2
Nipomo, CA

Inna22, Yes, it was Joe Stalin who made famous the statement " the press is the enemy of the people", look it up. Trump has nade that quote part of his campaign rally "speechs". In addition Trump has made every effort to make V Putin into something he is not. As John Mc Cain said Putin is a murder. Being Putins "friend" is not something I would support in any USA president, he is no friend of the USA. Reagan knew Russia was not our friend. Bush senior also knew that. As for being inclusive, its is all fine until perhaps you find yourself hosting people that leave your front door wearing Nazi swastikas on their arms headed for a Trump rally. . Then you might wonder if you should have let them stay at your home. As for your contention that Trump supporters make up half the USA population, at best the true believers, including yourself , number perhaps 40 million. In  a population  of 300 million thats about 15%.   I made it clear that I seek to vote with my dollars. I avoid US biz if I can discover if they are Trump supporters. As I pointed out I have no desire to stay at a AIRBB flying a Trump flag. And really when it comes to being inclusive and respecting other peoples views all I have to do is look to Trump for what NOT to do. He does neither. 

@Dan700  If you learn that there is a major event scheduled in your town that will draw in people who you don't wish to host, you're always free to block the dates in your calendar. If a guest's profile features hate speech or other content that violates Airbnb's content policy, you can report them and ask to have them cancel the booking penalty-free. But the vast majority of Trump's fans don't go around wearing swaztikas in public, so that particular concern is extremely outlandish.

Most of the guests who will request your listing aren't going to have information in their profile that makes their political beliefs obvious. So if you choose to open your home to strangers, you'll have to accept that some of them will hold very different political beliefs. What's more important to you: that guests obey your rules and treat your home with respect, or that they voted the same way as you in the last election?

@Dan700 

Press was state controlled in soviet union so such a statement would make zero sense. Also, anything you would ever hear referred to as Stalin’s quote is a reference, not an original. It is either something the State chose to publish as his quote or a memory of someone present at that time, which is also not reliable. However, to give you benefit of the doubt, I did look it up. In Russian which I am fluent in so went straight to original source. No such quote. I looked up other Soviet leaders just for the fun of it. Nope, no such a quote either. Get your facts straight. And please do not address me again. I should not be engaging with you and I can’t help it so please save me from myself. Thank you

@Inna22  I'm not fluent in Russian, but my understanding of the phrase "enemy of the people" (враг народа) in this context is that it refers to Article 58 of the Soviet penal code, which as you know was used by Stalin's regime to condemn millions of people to execution for an exhaustive number of reasons. I'm not aware of any instance of Stalin specifically stating that the press was the enemy of the people, even though countless journalists were purged during this period and again under Putin. Incidentally the phrase also occurs at the beginning of Shakespeare's "Coriolanus," the last four letters of which describe all the aforementioned dictators well enough.

@Anonymous  you are absolutely correct. The phrase itself is famous and was utilized in Soviet Union to justify prosecution and killing of millions. It was however impossible to be applied to press as it was state run and heavily censored. There were specific groups of people targeted, such as doctors and military but never specifically journalists. I’m sure plenty vanished during that time but  he was not specifically after them.  In one of the earlier post, OP compared Stalin to Trump and  when I expressed my shock he came back with justifying it that they both use this phrase.  

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Dan700 I suggest that you could just try it. Put what you stated in your post on your listing(s). Airbnb will not delist you without sending you warning. Even if they temporarily put your listing on hold, they give you a few days to correct it before they remove you.

@Alice595 that is not true. Please don't spread misinformation. If you follow this forum or others you will see many reports of hosts being summarily delisted without warning or explanation.

@Lisa723 If really depends I would say. For serious accusation such as crime or discriminations quoted in Terms and Service agreement, it could be delisted and removed. But for this, I think it should be fine.

@Alice595 I agree, it "should" be fine. However it is simply false that "Airbnb will not delist you without sending you warning" or "give you a few days to correct it before they remove you." If you believe this you have a false sense of security. As many hosts who were summarily and permanently removed with no warning or explanation can attest.

@Alice595  I don't think this is true, there are multiple examples in this forum of long time hosts who have been delisted and never even told what their offense was, never given an opportunity to respond, only being told they violated the terms of service, but never told how.  Airbnb is actually not only random and inconsistent but quite opaque in their dealings with hosts.

@Mark116 Some hosts got delisted but might have not disclosed the reasons which they might know. One listing was delisted recently with the host claiming for no reason. Actually he mentioned later that it was due to sexual harrassment.

I know that one host had listings temporarily put on hold for 5 days because a guest said that he did not disclose the security camera in the house rule. I think that many hosts with security camera and have not realized that they have to disclose it.

@Alice595  As I recall, the host you are talking about got delisted for an accusation of sexual harrassment, so him saying "for no reason" was accurate if the guest was lying, which he said she was. It's so easy these days to yell "discrimination!" or "sexual harrassment!" It's not that these accusations shouldn't be taken seriously, it's that Airbnb just takes the guest's word for it, when it could be a huge lie made in retaliation for being asked to pay for damages, or extra guests, without having the least bit of proof and not giving the hosts any oppòrtunity to defend themselves.  In the real world, if someone is accused of something, the burden of proof is on the accuser, at least in most first world countries. With Airbnb it's guilty with no chance to be proven innocent.

If a male host has had 100 guests, at least half of them female, with not one claiming they were sexually harrassed, rather saying how nice the host was and how great the listing was, and then one disgruntled and vindictive guest claims she was sexually harrassed, Airbnb doesn't look at the the host's history, they just delist him. 

This sort of thing could happen to any of us.