As a new host, how to compete?

Sara1061
Level 2
Porto, Portugal

As a new host, how to compete?

Hi, I just started hosting about a week ago. So far I'm feeling optimistic but there is one thing constantly on my mind. How do new hosts compete with hosts that have hundreds of reviews and have all the badges out there?

Maybe new hosts could have a special period say until they reach the 10 reviews , where their listing would be shown first in search results. I think that would keep things a little more balanced.

*[Post moved to create new topic – title updated]

12 Replies 12
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Sara1061  Your suggestion about search results is already in place!  That is why it is good to make sure you take advantage of the search boost with special offers or discounts or slightly lower rates.  I don't know how long this goes on, but being ready to hit the ground running is a good strategy.  I do see so many new hosts with inadequate pictures, incorrect listing set up and poorly worded descriptions.  Another mistake is to take long term guests which slows down the number of reviews. Unless that is your target market, it is best to have short term to start.

Sara1061
Level 2
Porto, Portugal

@Linda108I have been doing  just that ! Somehow it still doesn't show up on the map as an option, any ideas why? Thank you for your input 🙂

I was not able to find your listing either.  Contact Air BNB and request assistance to ensure the listing is set up correctly on the map.  Here is a guide to contacting Air BNB.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Thank you @Linda108 I'll be contacting them for sure!! I can't understand why...

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Sara1061

On a separate not I am so glad you posted on a purely personal level as I have been looking for someone to stay for a visit to Porto and your place looks perfect.

I will definitely be in touch 🙂

Helen

Hi @Helen3 !

Thank you so much for your feedback 🙂 We've just recently started hosting and its been great so far.  You will definitely enjoy Porto, its becoming such a vibrant city 🙂 

Let me know if you need any help with anything around Porto,

Looking forward in meeting you soon

Thanks 🙂

Sara

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks @Sara1061

Will do.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Sara1061,

Welcome to the Community Center (CC). It is great to see your suggestions here and share what you are concerned about as a new host. I'm sure this is a question many others have too.

To make it easier to find your question, I have made it into a new topic here in the Hosting board. I hope this is fine with you. 

As well, in terms of search results, you might find this post useful, as it explains a little more about how the search results are determind. Also, you will find lots of amazing tips here in the CC which you might find useful. 

If anyone else have any more ideas to help Sara attract more guests, when starting out, it would be great to hear from you. 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thank @Lizzie for making this a new topic! I've been having good feedback!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

It's not just when you are new, it is all the time from there on.

Your title and your photos must express the strength of your home as directly and forcefully as possible. Now do not give in to blackmail, @Sara1061.

The trap into which AIRBNB wants you to drop consists in  setting your presence in a oversaturated market fighting a price war from which you would surely come out with broken bones. Why? Because you will always find someone who makes lower prices than yours.

Consider other possibilities: for example, reduce the minimum stay, change the cancellation policy, etc. but above all if you can’t nail the price, go for the quality.

Sometimes just a few small restyling, some slight modification of the offer, can make the difference. More better services can make more comfortable and "exclusive" the stay in your home, Result? You’ll intercept a slightly higher target market.

But how to ride the wave of success? Offline and online promotions can help you.

To become creative in this area, you should think that AIRBNB does not exist. You should focus in the first instance only on your neighborhood. You need to think about well-targeted initiatives to make yourselves known by that potential public who still does not use AIRBNB and and other portals and who still choose established formulas like hotels.

So the first priority target to let people know about your apartment are your friends, colleagues, mothers of your son's or nephew's schoolmates, classmates of the gyms.

An old and effective tool is your card and its digital version, a website dedicated to your home, with a nice picture (the first you put on the description on the portal), with your telephone number and e-mail references, and of course the home URL on AIRBNB.

Are you looking for a good, affordable accommodation in the area? The hotels are full and you do not know where to stay? You have solved your problem, "Ruby sunset of Porto" is for you!

A familiar face is essentially a guarantee. Hairdresser, baker, doctor are high-traffic places. Put your card on the message board at the university, in the supermarket,  hospitals, convention centers, sports areas, swimming pools, theaters. People who may be interested in a temporary accommodation at a good price gravitate in all these places.

"Widen the potential pool of guests" is the operative word here. Talk about your accommodation to the sexton, the newsagent, the manager of your bank. Leave your card at advertising agencies and modeling agencies.

It is important to know the hightly attractive events that will take place in your city and plan the online promotion activity. If you have a list of friends or groups on WhatsApp, write a nice message and send it to everyone. Periodically send it back.

Create a post on your favorite social network with the link and a short catchy description. Share this post  periodically, just before important events. Finally insert the name of the university or its acronym in the title of the description on AIRBNB so that it can be “captured” by search engines.

Hi @Emily352

Thank you so much for your great feedback. Its a hussle everywhere I know, but at the beginning everything might seem a bit overwhelming. Your post is very informative and I will for sure give these suggestions a try.

At the end of the day we are struggling with AI.. but there's no running away from it now 🙂

Thank you again, I truly appreciated it!! 🙂

Sara