BUSINESS TRAVEL READY

Paul55
Level 2
Pembroke Dock, United Kingdom

BUSINESS TRAVEL READY

Entire appartment/house....This is mentioned as one of the requirements for being business travel ready .Yet it makes mention of not having pets live in the property..How can this be so if it is an entire house or appartment? That suggests that the host is living on the property .What actually constitutes an entire house or appartment? I live in my house and rent out three rooms but I assume I do not qualify for business travel ready on that basis?

12 Replies 12
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Hi @Paul55

Yes, I think that it means that your listing would not be considered for the Business Ready badge if your listing is not listed under the category of "Entire House/Apartment".   I know that other hosts have talked about this as well, so it's possible that things will change in the future.   When I first started six years ago, I used to think that nobody, or very few,  would rent a room in a house while someone else lived in it, and look how wrong I was, I ended up renting three rooms in my first listing, and my husband and I slept in the basement.  

Airbnb is trying to steer business travel away from hotels, so it makes sense to me that they'd start off by only recognizing as close to a hotel experience as they can.   Hence the laptop friendly workspace and hangers, 24 hour check-in, etc.    One thing that I bet is super important to a lot of business travelers who might use Airbnb is their corporate security rather then just personal security.   They may not want to be locking up their laptop in their room when they **bleep** out for a coffee or a meeting, and maybe they are thinking the guy in the room next to them will steal some trade secrets.    I know that the business people I've had most of have been techies, and I'm sure they are maybe a bit more sensitive to this then say someone in town for a visit to Central Park.

Things change so quickly here, so hopefully the Business Friendly requirements will get fine-tuned as well.

Ha!!! I used a three letter word to say something like "pop out for a coffee" and it got **bleeped**.  What, are we 5 years old here, we have to be censored?  

Ola2
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi

I agree .. the only reason my Listing cannot be listed as 'Business Ready' is because it is a Private Room in a House.  Obviously I cannot change this, so it seems I will no longer appear on searches by people searching specifically for a place to stay that is convenient on a business trip.  In the past many of my most successful visits have been from business people and many of them say that they like having a Host around to help with small things and to exchange a few words morning and evening - rather than the anonymity of a hotel or an unlived [unloved] apartment.

In short, I wonder why Airbnb decided that a 'Business Ready' listing should only apply to self-contained properties?

I will look out for any changes and wonder if anyone else has had similar experience.

@Olga -
I believe you can, all you need to do is create another listing of the same room but classify it as an entire place, if your entrances are totally separate.
Dominique-and-Nick0
Level 2
West Valley City, UT

Could someone please help me with this?

I would like to be a business host. My basement can be completely separate from my upstairs. That is how I offer it on airbnb. I didn't even know about the business thing, until I got a pop-up telling me what I needed to change to become a business host.

1. Smoking 
(I have a rule of no smoking INSIDE. But allow smoking OUTSIDE. Do I have to block smoking 100%)

2. Pets
(I have pets. I have also gated the space so they can't go to the entrance to the downstairs, but can open it if guests are ok playing with my pets. I've also allowed guests with pets.)

Do I need to just say "no pets" in my airbnb space? Or would I have to get rid of my pets to qualify?  (NO WAY. They're my family)

Please advise.

Dominique & Nick,

Did you guys every get any response to your question about the pet? We, like you, have a completely separate space from our house. But we have a dog (in our house). I don't want the whole profile to say there are no pets on the property because, we have a pet. However, he is not allowed in our guest house. Just curious if you got any tips on this one. 

Heather

Linda has the best answer we've received. One comment we received stated that we should make sure our animals NEVER get to the space we designate as "Business Destination" .. because many business travelers have allergies. So if we go that route, that's what we'll do.

To be totally honest.. we haven't had the consistent income we need, so we're probably going to rent out individual rooms on month-to-month rental agreements. We're out in the suburbs, so we're really not a place travelers to Salt Lake City look to book. We have to keep our prices too low to make this endeavor profitable enough. We were hoping the Business designation would help us. Since we have animals, we think going the month-to-month offline will work best for us.

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

@Paul,
Actually, if you are able to separate the entrances and not share facilities then you can classify your place as Business Ready. I have a similar situation with upper level rooms in my house. By closing my living room and kitchen door and using my garage and back doors as my separate entrances I can classify my upper rooms a Business Travel Ready even without a kitchen upstairs.

We have the same situation.  Our suite is 1200 square feet and consists of a bedroom, living room with an office center, bathroom, and "laundry/coffee room" (iron and ironing board ready) with a refrigerator and coffee, tea, and fruit provided.  It has its own private entrance and is closed off from the rest of the house.  How do we get ours listed as Business Travel Ready like you did?

I have a question about the pet policy. We have an Entire home/Apt listing in a multi-unit building. We do not have any pets in our apartment at all. However, our neighbors have pets. Do I still qualify?

Andrea-and--Matt0
Level 3
Aspley, Australia

Hi All

Like others on this thread we are a bit perplexed by the 'no pets' to be business travel ready.  We have a totally seperate apartment which is ground floor of our Queenslander.  Guests have a completely seperate entrance and can choose to enjoy the back yard in their pergola..  The only problem which is limiting our business ready status is that we have a dog on the premises.

The feedback that we have had from a lot of guests, both business and leisure, is that Abby is the star of the show.. Everybody loves her, and she loves them all back, even some business travellers have made comment it is so nice to spend time with said dog as ey are missing heir own back home.

i don't see why we are punished and not able to be business ready.. Bottom line is if you don't like the pets on a property, don't choose to stay there. It shouldn't impinge on the ability to get a certain status.

Marty1
Level 2
East Aurora, NY

how do I request that my listing shows it's travel ready?it has everything required