Burnt out

Jessica1088
Level 2
St. Augustine, FL

Burnt out

I’m almost ready to throw in the towel but have decided to change settings and remove instant booking for awhile. I mostly just want to vent- but have had 2 bad experiences in a row. The first one Airbnb gave all the advantage to the guest because I included a detail in my review that was against policy. They removed my review but kept the guests bad one (fabrications included), after I filed a claim for linens ruined by urine- from a grown man. Next guest wrote a list of complaints in a text after she left, including her allergies, which we are a farm for crying out loud! And wanted a refund for the radio not working. Everything else she complained about not working she just didn’t know how to use it (it’s a camper) and didn’t ask. This just isn’t worth the work as this rate.

15 Replies 15

@Jessica1088  I find that if you don't use Instant Book, your initial correspondence in the Request process gives you quite a reliable indication of what kind of characters you're dealing with and whether they'll be a good fit for your space. This is especially true of a property that's somewhat unconventional/offbeat; you're bound to benefit more from screening guests than a someone with a standard holiday apartment.

I agree. I’m hoping we can book more of the guests we are targeting vs people looking for a cheap place and then expecting a luxury accommodation and 24/7 service!!

@Jessica1088  I've been hosting for 3 years and have never used IB. I also have a not-your-average listing, in that it is in the countryside, a 20 minute walk from town and the beach in a busy tourist town which is known as a party town. But I don't want guests who come to party, stay out late drinking at the bars, etc.-they would be a terrible fit for what I offer.

Wording my ad to attract the type of guests that will work out well here (as you have done) and communicating with every one of them before accepting a booking has worked out great. I can honestly say I've never had an objectionable guest nor one who left a bad review. It doesn't mean there haven't been any issues at all, but I was able to work them out with the guest amicably, with no hard feelings nor having to involve Airbnb. 

I know my listing would be higher in the search rankngs if I used IB, but I don't depend on this as a major source of income and am much more interested in the quality of guests than the quantity.

Great advice! My husband and I both work and the Airbnb was just a fun side hobby. I have really enjoyed sharing our animals and have had some amazing guests. I think weeding out some of the ones that aren’t a good fit will make this a better experience for me.

Hi, Britt Via here.

thank you, I agree and had forgot that, cause airbnb recommende me to use book imediately and had a few last guest, that didnt had the notice and respect of my home. So I vill go back to, to do a conversation with guest before and to know who vill be liveing at my home, cause its a private home, not an hotel appartment as a few thourght.

also, my last guest was from Tromsø Norway and What I know, its very cold there and only ice, so they actually complained of muskito at Gran Canary, as I can do anything about that...they never had seen before and made a very bad review of my place, wich actually is fantastic but small, as told in advert and they even wrote at the review, they wanted to have change location on therir vacation...well, they were un lucky to get a new washmashine a bit late, but after that, all was good from my part, even they broke a few stuff etc..the thing is, they gave me a so bad review, of lots complains, I think for get as meny money back as they could...they thourght they entered a hotelapt., not a private home. So thank you, I vill go back to have a conversation to with my guest, before I let them book, smile.

Harold75
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

The adage “ opposites attract” does not apply!! 

I think it is all about attracting guests who are a good fit for your property.  You benefit , the guest benefits. Everyone is happy! 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Best of luck @Jessica1088 with your change in bookings. What feels right for you, is what is right for you. Take time to breathe and never feel bad about blocking dates to give yourself some time off! A good host is one who isn’t exhausted.........

So true!! We are a working family and squeeze in the Airbnb on the side. People forget that and just get carried away by unreasonable demands. It’s not a hotel, and they are not paying like it is, plus they get a bonus petting zoo!

I just decided to block out the last two weeks of December, and the first few days in January, to take a break.

It really is quite exhausting - I was booked pretty much back-to-back from March to October, had a couple of bookings in November, and mostly silly nonsense inquiries in December. 

People are pretty demanding about access to the space - although my check-in time is 3pm, many arrive on early-morning flights, wanting early access. 

I work from home, so often I can do that, but not always, and people aren't very appreciative at all. It's just expected.  When I've apologised and said my work schedule didn't allow it, some have been really grumpy about it.  Some are decent enough to inquire first - many wait until a few days before to spring it on me. 

I don't recall getting a single review that said "host was really accommodating by letting us arrive early". 

One of my more recent guests had an issue with the TV, but chose to send me a snarky comment at 7.30pm on her last night of 5 nights, (Sunday), while I was out at dinner.  After, by the way, allowing them a 9am early check in. 

One apparently isn't allowed to have a life, at all. 

I'm enjoying the downtime right now.

That sounds just like our last one! Half an hour after she pulled out she had a list of complaints, all fixable, and asked for a refund. I especially liked the one where she complained she froze all night because there was no heat. All I could say was, “not sure if you tried the thermostat.....”. Can’t fix stupid.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

What you call a burn out right now may well become a simple phase of "ups and downs" as you get used to guests walking in and out repetitively for years ..! 

Thumbs up if you've been there ! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jessica1088 

Jess, in the space of a year you have gained 33 great reviews, your guests just adore you.....you are a 4.97 for God sake, I am only a 4.93. To me it seems you are doing everything right!

I have learned that every now and then a less than perfect guest will come along, and I too have had times where I have  put off something which was important to me to wait for that guest who had a really pressing reason for having an early check-in, and then just didn't turn up for two hours, left me sitting and waiting. Guests who tell me, no matter how much I provide, it didn't suit what they needed. A guest who broke my bed by trying to do something ridiculous on it and then complained that it was not explained to her that she couldn't do what she was trying to do, (sit on the pillows while she put the head of the bed up)!

Jess you understand when you host that guests are something of a 'lucky dip', and although you try to sort out the good ones from the soul destroyers, you are never going to get it 100% right!

I have had times when I have felt like you.......but Jess they are few and far between and all those great and memorable guests more than make up for that odd 'thanksgiving dinner' that will walk up my driveway every now and then.

Jess just reading your reviews makes  me want to stay......

"This was everything we expected the location was Very beautiful and scenic".

"This is like finding an island Oasis"

"It was a lovely camper experience, very nicely maintained."

"We absolutely loved our stay!"

"If you're looking for a place to stay near the area, just book this place!"

And on and on. That review of Mirialis says far more about them, than it says about you. 

You are an exceptional host, your guests talk about the experience you provide, more than the facility!

Maybe just time to take a deep breath, regroup and then look forward to some more of those lovely guests who have enriched your life.....and you theirs! All the best!

Cheers......Rob

Wow! That was an amazing pep talk. I needed that, thank you.

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Robin4 So encourage!