Cancellation Refunds.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Cancellation Refunds.

I guess the world has a right to feel confused at the moment with policy virtually changing by the hour, and I like everyone else has had a swag of cancellations over the past few weeks. But I have just received an email which has me scratching my head!

The guest has cancelled a 3 night stay beginning tonight. All other cancellations this month the guest has been fully refunded and that is something we just have to accept. But have a look at this email.......

Cancellation refund.png

This email tells me I am to be paid for the first two nights of the stay....which is what would have happened had we not been in this Covid-19 situation but, even that does not tie up because, the guest can cancel penalty free within 48 hours!  This email  gives me the option to fully refund the guest at my discretion.

I would be prepared to issue a refund for 2 nights because I have never expected to be paid for something I did not provide. But, I have already restocked for this expected stay this evening, and I have paid for a cottage service I did not need to do had this reservation not been in place, so I would like to retain the first night of this reservation.  The guest has not returned my message and has not contacted me regarding the refund given by Airbnb.

The way this refund policy is changing at the moment the system may  not give me that opportunity to offer a partial refund....I either keep what I have been offered or I refund the lot. Can others advise on this?

Cheers........Rob

3 Replies 3
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Can’t advise @Robin4 as everything is so fluid at the moment. I’d also be cautious in allowing a full refund as there may be a glitch due to heavy cancellations across the system, which could correct, then you may be more out of pocket.......

So what’s  your wait time to respond?

So with all the info that you have, maybe leave it at the current refund rate for at least the next 24 hours, then you could always respond to offer a night’s  accommodation after that, for a later date, even setting a time period for it to be taken up, that suits you. 

Otherwise, I’ll pass.....

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Robin4  I’d do nothing yet. Wait it out. Let the guest work at it if need be. 
stay well

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Robin4  I had a guest was coming beginning of month. The scuba course cancelled because of our windy weather and rescheduled. Guest messaged about it and must cancel. I said contact airbnb asap. they waiting until a few hours before check in to call airbnb and so my moderate policy kicked in. In the message thread the guests said they know it is late and sorry and they understand if I couldn't book them for 3 weeks later cause I was booked.   time passed, I got paid and 2 days ago I get a call from CS that guests NOW wants a full refund. (someone told em about the full $$) so I said please read the thread. they cancelled because of class not virus - they expected to lose monies. And they are being dishonest. I will gladly give monies where deserved, virus alert etc. but this was just not right. The CS said I will call guest and educate them. I also got an email stating they are upholding my cancellation policy. 

Now we'll see if they actually leave a silly review - I've never waited to see if someone does. But should they tell an untruth I want to be able to respond. So Rob not sure if that is helpful at all but its my story. 

I would just wait and hope they don't push it. Its likely they will. People get strange when under such uncertain times.

Be well and greetings to you both and Betts - happy hosting from Clara in Fl.