Cancellation and now no bookings, no views, no requests!

Cancellation and now no bookings, no views, no requests!

Hi, This is the first time I have cancelled within a six month time-frame (I have cancelled three times in almost 5 years - all extenuating circumstances!) anyway  the cancellation was not penalized as per Airbnb policy and I was not fined. Also a "host cancelled has not appeared on my review board, yet!.  I had to cancel a guest weeks before his arrival date because of emergency repairs. I found him another place to stay and helped him with getting Airbnb to reverse the charges for my place.

BUT since that day I have had no inquiries, no reservations and as per the stats page seemingly no views.  Am I being penalized?  Has my listing been "disappeared" ?  Anyone have any insight, experience with similar that resulted in a long dry stretch - Airbnb are not telling.  I usually have to turn people away at this time of year.

11 Replies 11
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Ange2

I did look at your listings so there should be at least one view. I see you have some dates blocked but of course they might not be bookings.

I do not think there is an answer, well n ot one anybody on here can provide.

David

@David126  Thank you for looking and for giving me one view 🙂  I blocked the dates for emergency repairs but odd there is not a peep from any prospective guests since I cancelled !

@Ange2

In your position I would be thinking the same, I have noticed that I am getting many more short notice bookings than I used to, May is usually dead but the first half was ok but not much booked for the next month.

David
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Airbnb bookings come in waves and you may have cancelled during a low period. Just be patient the tide will come back.

@Zacharias0   I always have more people requesting  than I can take from April through November. My view stats took a nose dive to zero just after I cancelled the guest and  since then, no requests.  I am wondering if an algorithm has pinned me down!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Ange2

You do have a host cancellation review - that will affect the search results.

@Marit-Anne0      When I cancelled Airbnb said as it is the first cancellation within a  6 month time-frame  (actually it is within more than a  year plus time-frame)  that no penalties would apply,  plus it was extenuating circumstances.

If you are correct then there is a penalty in that my search results are affected, which is in direct contradiction to what Airbnb stated both in writing and by telephone: "no penalties".  Would be good to know how Airbnb defines "penalty",  in my book that is a huge penalty.

@Ange2

Did you do the cancellation yourself or did you ask airbnb to cancel for you ?  If you did the cancellation from your end, you are dealing with airbnb software rather than a human and the software will treat all host cancellations in the same manner.  

@Marit-Anne0   When I tried to do the cancellation online the text that appeared said  "As this is your first cancellation within a six month period there will be no penalties",  BUT  it did not take, the reservation still showed as accepted, so then I had to call Airbnb and have them do it from their end. The employee, after apparently talking to her supervisor,  assured me that I would not be penalized.

@Ange2

Then there must have been some sort of glitch or the cancellation from your end did take in parts.  The host cancellation review did appear at random.  Sorry, but I think you need to contact airbnb again to have this sorted.

@Marit-Anne0   Thank you for your help.  But,  I'll give up now,  last time it took forever to get a response.