Chemex or French Press?

Traci1
Level 7
York, ME

Chemex or French Press?

We'd like to provide the ability for guests to make coffee or tea in our apartments however despise Keurig due to the plastic capsules. Anyone provided Chemex or French Press coffee makers? Good or bad input on either?

8 Replies 8
Stephanie6
Level 10
Boulder, CO

Hi @Traci1, We provide a french press and freshly ground beans and have never had a complaint.  We did have one guest who let us know he was happy to have the french press.  There are many coffee shops within 1 block in any direction, so fancier coffee is easily available.  The french press we provide is from IKEA and I keep a spare since it is not very durable (it is inexpensive and easy to clean).

@Stephanie6, thank you... this helps! Good idea to provide the beans as well. Just curious, do you provide any other staples in the kitchen?

We provide a basic Mr. Coffee drip machine and a Press. The other day in a private review we had someone say they wished we also had a Chemex. I guess you can't make everyone happy. Luckily there are 10 cafes within walking distance. The majority of the 200 plus guests we've hosted just use the Mr. Coffee.

We also provide local coffee and tea options. The only other kitchen items are salt and pepper and anything that prior guests have left unopened.

I know a lot of hosts provide basic foods but I have to say we've never had any complaints. Just be clear what is offered.

Indeed! And thank you for taking the time to share your tips!

Hi @Traci1, Like @Brittany1, we also provide tea (boxes of black tea and green tea) and non-perishables left by previous guests that are in good condition.  We leave a pint of half-and-half in the fridge, sugar, a few locally made snacks (cookies, caramel corn, candies), fresh flowers, and 1 or 2 items of fruit per guest (apples, satsumas, etc.)  Sometimes the guests leave most of the fruit and lately, none of the snacks have been left!  Overall, we spend about $40 on the welcome "gifts".

Thank you!

Did you check the box that says coffeemaker in the Amenities List? I offer a french press, but haven't checked the box yet so as not to mislead guests that expect a drip machine. 

Natasha224
Level 2
Hamilton, New Zealand

am about to improve our coffee from instant have been looking at chemex vs french press not sure everyone will know how to use chemex