The Coffeemaker

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

The Coffeemaker

Hi all,

I recently had a guest complain I have no coffeemaker.  Yes, ok, I'm still "steamed" about that. Pun intended. 

When I first set up my Airbnb space, there were a number of things I considered carefully. 

1. How to provide some very basic refreshments, in line with the Chicago regulations regarding providing food to guests requiring a food handling certificate and inspection.   

2. How to deal with keeping items cold in summer and warm in winter, in such a way as to not encourage "bugs" from my outdoor space (garden)  encroaching into my indoor space. 

3. How to keep cleanup and "sanitizing" of utensils between guests, per regulation, to the minimum, since there's so much to do already.

4. Preferring not to encourage food preparation, but, rather, having folks go out for meals, while trying to provide a level of convenience. 

With all that in mind, I provide a small refrigerator, microwave and electric kettle for boiling water, and single-serve coffees and teas.  

I also try to be as environmentally friendly as possible, which isn't easy given guest expectations, so the idea of a "Pod" type coffeemaker is unappealing, due to the vast amount of plastic waste generated by single use pods.  I don't use one in my own kitchen - I use a French press. 

I could, of course, add yet more wording to my listing description regarding kitchen appliances, but since my listing does not offer a kitchen, and the amenity "coffee maker" is not checked, I'm not certain that would be of any use anyway. 

Any constructive suggestions, anyone ?    

27 Replies 27
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michelle53  I think that coffee is something most guests expect to have available, as well as a way to make it. I agree that those pod affairs are an environmental disaster, can't understand why so many people have them, and would never use one. I also have a French press and guests share my kitchen , so that's what guests use. 

Is there some reason you can't just provide an inexpensive coffee maker?

@Sarah977  I noticed elsewhere you posted something about a stainless steel French press. I'm thinking that's a really good idea !    Inexpensive, too.    I like to use the coffee grounds in the garden - I don't imagine there's an easy way to have guests deal with that, though. Any thoughts on what kind of coffee most people like ?  

@Michelle53  You could have a small pail in the kitchen marked "coffee grounds" and point it out to guests and hopefully they'd use it and you could dump it in the garden. Of course some might not pay attention, just like some guests seem unable to follow simple instructions for separating garbage and recycling, and just throw everything in the trash. But it's worth a try, I'd think.

Coffee is a pretty individual preference, but I'd just go with a regular medium roast (no flavored coffees-I know some people like those, but you're looking to provide something that will be acceptable to a wide range of coffee drinkers), good quality. If there's a Costco in your area, their coffee is pretty good, I find. 

Wendy345
Level 3
Savannah, GA

I agree. Guests expect coffee. The single use pod coffee makers have a reusable pod that you put the ground coffee into fir use with the single use machine. Maybe that is a good option for you. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

If there has only been one recently guest who's complained about it (out of your almost 200 reviews,) then I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to try to provide a simple coffee maker then go for it. I have a full coffee maker in one of my listings and have to wash it after every. single. guest. if used. No one has ever washed it and returned it to a 'clean, unused' state. I now breathe a sigh of relief when I enter the space and find the coffee marker untouched 🙂

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Michelle53 

I gave up the battle and bought a $20 coffee maker.

Those that use it usually clean it, so it's not much bother. 

I supply coffee, but few people use it so no great expense.

Mind you, I prefer a pour over system. it's easy and better than a coffee maker. The problem is that a coffee maker is "standard"

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Sarah977 @Paul154 @Emilia42 @Wendy345     Thanks for the responses. Food for thought !    Getting a critical review is always tough to work through. To me, there's a balance between trying to be all things to all people, and keeping my prices reasonable.    Customer expectations are tough to manage. 

The majority of folks say  the space has everything one can think of. 

Perhaps I took the review harder than I should have, under the circumstances. 

And then the Airbnb AI sent me a thoughtful little note wondering if I just made a mistake, and hadn't checked the "coffemaker" box in my amenities. Sigh....

Since things seem to be really quiet, at the moment, maybe a little reflection on my plans for 2020 are in order, along with some winter maintenance. 

@Michelle53  After a couple of months without providing a coffee maker because I am afraid of guests not turning it off and potential fire hazard, I had two to three groups of guests complaining about not providing coffee maker and coffee. It was not only reflected in the public review but also in the private message and suggestions to me even though I had it unchecked in the listing. I finally gave up like @Paul154 . I also bought a simple and cheap coffee maker costing $30.  Indeed, only about 50% of guests used it. 

@Michelle53   I don't offer a coffee maker having had three broken, all different types each one more robust, or so I thought, than the previous one. I do offer high-end instant coffee and there are a ton of coffee places nearby.  I have only had one guest complain.

You could add a graphic in your gallery to make it clear. Or a footnote in your messages to the guests, I do that to reiterate things many people fail to take note of.  And/or add an asterisk, ★ No Coffee Maker,  in the description, but none of it is foolproof if someone is intent on finding fault.  When I think of adding a new amenity I think of the additional problems it may bring and whether it is worth it, especially if only one person has complained about its lack.

p.s. If they wrote there was no coffee-maker in the public review you could respond with you don't have one you offer instant coffee (or you just purchased a coffee-maker) so future guests may take note.

@Michelle53 @Ange2 High quality instant coffee is often better tasting than brewed coffee from a poor quality coffee maker or made using old/poor quality beans.  My favorite is Jed's (New Zealand).  I replaced the cheap coffee maker (Mr. Coffee) with a Braun (automatically turns off) when I discovered the cheap coffee maker produced the most vile coffee I have tasted - even with the freshly ground artisan/3rd wave locally sourced beans (yes, eye-roll).  The easy solution is to provide a french press since it is easy to use and you already have a kettle.

If you do add a coffee maker you should provide excellent freshly ground coffee.  Most of my guests do not ever make coffee (there are several cafes within 1-2 blocks) so I use the leftovers (yay!).  Providing coffee is also a way for me to highlight the local products.  

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Michelle53- I gave it some thought when I first opened my cabin to guests and decided to put an inexpensive coffee maker in, not a Keurig type.  I do have to wash it on occasion, but it gets a lot of usage.  I provide filters, a lesser expensive coffee, sugar, artificial sweetener and powdered creamer.  I live in a very rural area and it would be a long trip to the nearest coffee shop.  If you have coffee shops near you, and all you  have had is one poor review, I would just accept the review and move on.  It is a nice amenity to offer though.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Michelle53  FWIW you can get compostable keurig-compatible pods. We provide these with our Keurig coffee-maker, as well as instant coffee and a French press and ground coffee. Average nightly cost is very low. If your listing is competing with hotels the path of least resistance is to provide some way to make coffee.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Why not just supply a french press/plunger/cafetiere and some fresh ground coffee in a jar? If the guest doesn't use it, just use it for yourself and replace with fresh for the next guests.  Simple.

Would this count as a "coffeemaker" in the Amenities List?  I can't decide if I should check that box or not.  I don't want to mislead guests who would expect a drip machine.