Should children under 2 Free? I think Not!

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Should children under 2 Free? I think Not!

I have hosted families for over three years. Children are the most work because they.....well...they are children. I just recently found out that my listing shows that children under 2 are free. My goodness....the spilled juice on the floors, the fingerprints on my glass doors, extra laundry, diapers in the garbage......all OK "if" I get paid for the extra work but it seems that Airbnb has decided that I should do this work for free? Sadly, the only way that I can stop this free promotion is to change my settings to "unsuitable" for children under 2 and now my listing will not show up when a family is looking to stay somewhere with small children.

Oh well, I had better go and check the other two platforms that I use.

171 Replies 171

I TOTALLY agree with your rendition of the problems associated with renting to under age two - they do not cost less so why does Airbnb wants us not to charge for them.  and we don't wish to discourage families with children - but would prefer AIRBNB give us support on how we want to run our business in stead of setting up these road blocks!

it is not always easy but every time i have a request that involves an under two, i inform the prospective guest via messaging and so far every time they've cooperated and either re-submitted their request with appropriate number of guests (but only after i was forced by Airbnb policies, to decline - which negatively affects the Host's ratings, by the way).    I have been suggessful with all my guests and they'd paid the extra.  I make a point of meeting all of my guests, also, this cuts down on sneaking in other guests..and i live 10 minutes away so it is easy to drive by.  I try to foster a relationship with the guest from the get go.  I always make some contact via messaging with prospective guests before accepting a reservation.  i feel we are all going to treat each other better if we put a face on each other.  a philisophy that worked for me in previous businesses.  I believe it is more difficult for a guest to allow their two year old to wet your $1500 bed when they've met you and know you and know you're nearby...

In addition have waterproof mattress pads on ALL beds.  and offer baby bed and/or pack 'n' play - perhaps for an extra charge IF you do not prefer to inform them of the extra charge for the infant - but they might refuse either the crib or the pack 'n' play - having brought their own - and/or intend for baby to sleep with them or on floor... so that might not be a solution.

Good luck. 

Totally agree. Im thinking to change my listing to not suitable for infants.

Mark and Pearl - it sounds like you'll want to mark your listing as not appropriate for 2 year olds, perhaps not even for children...  and other measures to take are to have ALL mattresses covered with a mattress pad that protects against liquids reaching it (has plastic on one side) - then for added comfort i have a nice thick soft one on top of that.   good luck. Ginger U.S.A.

Even grown-ups can spoil our matresses. waterprof matress is the only solution.

No kidding!

Exactly. Unnecessary problems for hosts. Its very unplesant to do that especially if they get caught being dishonest. 

Hi,

I found out about the free infants today when I received a booking request ALTHOUGH I have NOT suitable for children 0-2 ON !

How is that possible?!
I have another listing where I do not accept ANY children (too dangerously located on a cliff) and it does not show up if I want to book with children, HOWEVER an infant is not a child is not a person apparently with airbnb. 

Crazy!

I sent them a special offer where I had edited the reservation and chaged from 2 to 3 people. I can provide a baby bed, yes, and I can provide a high chair, but bringing it to the location and cleaning bedsheets and ironing gives me the right to charge for a 3rd person.

I am not mad at them, but at airbnb. Too many changes over host's head without asking or informing!

I am fed up.

But not happier with the other 2 web sites.... Will promote my own web site further.

Good luck with yours!

Couldn't agree more Susan!

Have you tried STAYZ?

I just joined up and it's great.

Seriously, what do you think? They are out to make money for themselves!

Hi, what are your other platforms please... perhaps HomeAway and???

@Graciela20 VBRO and TripAdvisor. And this winter I will be setting up my own website.

Wow Thanks Monica I have just found the clause 

Yes it must be new!

I cannot understand why they would implement this clause with out advising us?

I will investigate further.

Ashleigh

We are also on Stayz and it goes quite well.
I do like the airbnb platform as it works just as well if not better.
Telling hosts that they have to accomodate 2 year olds and under in there own properties is bordering on a dictation.
All guests cost money.
Who's going to pay for the sheets that need to be cleaned.
I cant give the sheets to our linen provider and say you have to clean and replace them for free as these were the sheets the 2 year olds and under used.
Can I ask my council, gas, water and electric providers for a 5% discount on my bills as I had 2 year old children and under in this month.
What an absolutely ludicrous policy.
There are costs involved, were still paying a bank as well.

All of you caring hosts have the opportunity to look over the guests reviews.If they have a concerning issue just bring it up to them and send a " special offer". Easily adjust the price to your favor ( after all it is your place,you have the final say) and nicely explain why. If they don't agree then you probably don't want those kind of people. You know a kids coming, so put down a pad before they get there, and let them know you did that for them. Hey your the "host", so get good at it.They are just people, being diverse is peacefull.

Agree. Under two stay for free policy needs change. Maybe just one child under two. With one guest, I said only  child under two staye for free since our rates are already so low. cant we do that? The guest was amicable and agreed.