Cleaning complaint - am I being out of order here?

Cleaning complaint - am I being out of order here?

So I hire a professional company to clean who do an amazing job. I just had someone complain because we didn't leave cleaning supplies under the sink for their own cleaning. I have dish soap, dishwasher tablets, liquid soap everywhere and hand sanitizer on the wall and my floors are so clean you could eat food off of them. I was accused of not caring about the guests health! Am I wrong here? I didn't want to leave bleach under the sink in case someone had a child and they accidentally drank it, plus I didn't want to leave materials guests could steal. I have guest steal toilet paper, towels, soap already (anything they can get their hands on). What do other hosts do? Do you leave cleaning supplies? I am worried I will get "the host left supplies expecting me to clean and thats their job" comments.

32 Replies 32
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Liam1556  You need to learn how to write review responses. You have been directing your responses at the guest who wrote complaints- calling them liars, etc. 

Your responses to guest reviews appear on your review page, not the guest's. Responses are seen by future prospective guests. They should simply be factual and used to correct inaccurate info or explain what happened or acknowledge that something was indeed your fault and has been corrected.

So a response should read "Thank you for bringing my attention to the poor cleaning job. I'm so sorry this happened. The cleaner has been fired and a new, responsible cleaning company is now in place." or "This guest's issues were a result of her not reading the check-in information or any other pertinent info provided to her."

Trashing a guest in a response (the review you write for the guest  is where to speak to the behavior of a guest) just makes you look bad to future guests, who think, "I'll pass on this listing, as the host might trash me, too". Your responses should just be brief and professional, not defensive or aggressive.

Hi there! Long before COVID-19 and the enhanced cleaning, we leave basic starter clean up agents and equipment and indicate on the site, prior to check-in and welcome book that starter items are provided and once completed it is expected to replenish what’s needed. We keep separate cleaning agents and equipment for our housekeeping and cleaning firms away from guests to avoid them using. Also it’s always best to state if your home is self catering and so forth. We are not going to please everyone - it’s better to have it (small or large) than not have anything at all. We wish you much success 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Emilia42 @Huma0 @Sarah977  You ladies were on to something - by the time I got here tonight @Liam1556 had no listings.  Tant pis for him.