Cleaning tips from Airbnb Hosts - I'm so proud to be part of this article and wanted to share with U

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

Cleaning tips from Airbnb Hosts - I'm so proud to be part of this article and wanted to share with U

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/cleaning-tips-from-airbnb-hosts-36607520

Apartment Therapy has some really cool stuff so when I got a call to contribute I was thrilled.

Read and see some tips that might be new to some host. I am excited to share with you guys!

happy hosting, Clara

34 Replies 34
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Nice, @Clara116 !

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Clara116  Very nice that you were called in to participate. I only wish that these articles did NOT include encouragement for essential oils. Yuck. Hate that smell, especially lavender. Why would anyone add a scent that is an allergen to a cleaned space?

And yes, hairs. Hate them! Last week's guest arrived and he was bald! I was almost moved to send him some money. Almost.

@Clara116  Congrats. I do agree with @Susan151, however. It's a terrible idea to use scents in a STR. I also can't stand the smell of lavendar and can't understand why people think it's some universally enjoyed smell. I cringe when I read hosts sayiing they use lavendar-scented linen spray. If I checked into a place like that, I'd have to ask the host for some clean, unscented sheets- I wouldn't even care if they were wrinkled or had some small stains, as long as they didn't smell of lavendar or dryer sheets.

I don't have the aversion to hairs, though, like it seems many people do. It doesn't even gross me out to clean a clump of wet hair out of the shower drain. Maybe cause I raised 3 daughters and shed a lot myself and got accustomed to it.

@Sarah977 wrote:

@Clara116 

I don't have the aversion to hairs, though, like it seems many people do. 

To clarify, I don't have an aversion to hair; my guests have an aversion to previous guests' hairs. Finding all those random hairs and cleaning them takes quite a bit of effort, especially from a wet tub. I do back-to-back bookings so there isn't all that much time to play Detective Hair.

@Susan151 Bathtubs are a huge rarity in Mexico and I don't have any here, just showers. While I sometimes miss having a bath, and it's usually one of the first things I enjoy when I go up to Canada in the summer, I definitely don't miss cleaning a bathtub. With the showers, which are all tiled, I just go in there with a scrub brush and some cleanser, give it all a quick scrub and rinse it down with the shower hose, clean the hair and gunk out of the shower grate, give the walls a quick towel dry so they don't spot, and I'm done. Way easier on my back than cleaning a tub, too.

@Susan151  I'm quite relieved you resisted that particular temptation.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Sarah977 @Susan151  thanks for your comments. I agree about Lavendar....however a small amount of pure 100% essential peppermint oil is so refreshing......can stop a headache when used properly and assist quick/clear thinking/alertness........I have never had a person in over 15 yrs, in my therapy building for Medical Massage that didn't totally enjoy the light fresh clean smell. Some folks buy that synthetic crap and it is indeed an allergen and gives me a headache. My husband detest Lavendar -so I appreciate your comments for certain.  The new methods used with CDB oil for pain relief with cooling are peppermint too. So I'm sorry you two don't have some of the great stuff  - for me these smells are clean NOT bleach or such strong odors. I also make a very natural sink scrub with baking soda and alittle oils/ lemon/ orange or peppermint.....lovely sparkling clean and smell is subtle. I grew up where everything was cleaned with bleach and I truly use anything before bleach. thanks again for your feedback & comments

@Clara116 wrote:

@Sarah977 @Susan151  I have never had a person in over 15 yrs, in my therapy building for Medical Massage that didn't totally enjoy the light fresh clean smell. 

That is kind of funny since I am the patient who requested scent free "Medical Massage" and I am happy to say that Erica was happy to oblige. She mentioned that I was not alone, and so she already had the proper products on hand.

I total agree 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Clara116 Just because we've never run into anyone who hates the smell of something, doesn't mean those aversions don't exist. I'm sure there are some people who don't like the smell of peppermint, even though I've never heard anyone mention that. So I myself would never assume that any  scent was universally appreciated. I have a friend who can't stand the smell of coffee. Before I met her, I'd never met anyone in the 45 years of my life before I met her who had that dislike.

I do use some cleaning products that have a scent that I enjoy. But I clean the guest quarters day before check in (no same day or back-to-back bookings for me) and air the room out well afterwards.

I read a hilarious story- a woman had had a nasty divorce after finding out her husband had been cheating on her. Part of the divorce settlement was that he had to buy her out for half the house, then he put it on the market and moved in with his girlfriend. She still had to go and collect the stuff that was hers from the house and went there when it was empty. She took down one of the hollow curtain rods and stuffed some shrimp down inside. Neither her ex, the real estate agent, nor the house inspector could figure out where the horrid smell was coming from and nothing worked to eliminate it. He had to sell the house at a huge loss. 

@Sarah977  I agree that there are people with many aversions to all kinds of things and smells. My husband is a perfect example.  I know it is very real and I don't say its not. I do not think any one smell/scent is universal....I just use what I do because of the many folks that dislike lavendar, lemon, etc. and the list goes on. I think there might be something to so many folks eating peppermint as children in many countries, NOT all countries- esp. here in the US  - I watch the old folks in church rattling the peppermint candy wrappers every Sunday. I have the sweetest memories of my great grandfather - coming to see us each Sunday afternoon and always bringing peppermint candies. Of course, that sweet addiction we acquired surely messed up  our teeth early on. funny how each person has their stories. 

Loved that shrimp story even the second time!!! Some fast karma I'd say. Makes me smile. Thanks!

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I don't mind a waft of peppermint oil in the air, @Clara116 . I used it recently to discourage a deermouse from trying to get in, but it appears she likes it too, so we are still battling. 

I had more trouble with Mr. Klunk's leafblower suggestion. Cannot imagine doing that. Interesting, though.

Clay29
Level 3
Houston, TX

"Dust and sweep with a leaf blower" - now that is original.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Clara116 @Nina204 @Stephanie @Sarah977 @Jessica-and-Henry0 

@Clay29 

@Clay29 remember the days when people used a broom to sweep?

They did a great job

Ditto when floor rugs were beaten to rid the dust, there wasn't to many chubby check people in those eras either.

All the best