Co-hosting experience:

Bl0
Level 2
Puerto Rico

Co-hosting experience:

For the month of december, I started co-hosting a property in the vicinity that I have mine, for owner's who live in another state.  Communication with her has been good except I do not feel comfortable with the response I received over two issues I brought to their attention.   I would appreciate feedback on it  in case I do decide to fully engage as a property manager in the future:

1) Shower has an electric heated shower head.  Water pressure is low if you want the water warm (hot water per se does not come out) and pressure can be increased, but the temperature then is colder.   This is obviously out of the standard and for me, diminishes the overall guest experience.  I communicated to the owner that a "good shower" is essential.  The response I got was, "I think it’s one of the few apartments...where one can literally be taking a shower with a full-on ocean view. Now, THAT is a positive experience, IMHO."   Let me add the the "full-on ocean view is about 20 feet away and only if you take a shower with the bathroom AND shower door open. Besides that, the issue was not addressed.  

2) The front door had a hinge that broke off and the door could not close.  This occured on a Friday of the holiday weekend and I had a guest coming in on Sunday.  I tried to reach the two handyman that I work with, located in the area and they were not available.  So I contacted the owner, letting her know that I might have to cancel the reservation IF the issue could not be resolved.  The response I received was, "I am not the property manager. You are. Find someone to fix it."  

I did not respond to either emails.  I simply worked each matter out to the best of my ability and communicated I will not be able to support her any longer and with a few suggestions on small matters to make the property more appealing in a very competive market. Now I understand why the previous property manager dropped the property and removed the listing.  Co-hosting and/or managing a property is a responsability that requires respectful and professional communication. 

My suggestion to others contemplating co-hosting and or property/management, is to make sure you understand every aspect, establish expectations and responsabilities of each party and use the first month to determine if you want to commit long term.  

0 Replies 0