portable gas cookers

Ashley-And-Maria0
Level 2
Katikati, New Zealand

portable gas cookers

Recently I had a korean couple as my guest in our self contained cottage. After they left we discovered a gas bottle among the empty beer and wine bottles.,

the put in our recyling. We did not realise until then, that they were using a portable gas burner in top of the induction hub in the cottage kitchen ! Although,

the cottage is equiped with fire detector/alarm + fire extinquisher, this couple never informed us that they will be using a portable gas burner. I was so angry, the fact, that they could have caused fire. I rang them, and told them of our discovery ....... they were so apologetic ...... I still thinking of whether, i should give them a feedback or not.

3 Replies 3
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Ashley-And-Maria0.

The guest doesn’t have to let you know they are using a gas burner, nor is it in your house rules. So they haven’t done anything wrong.... technically.  

If they have been travelling and camping, this has probably been a more familiar means of cooking. Do you give instructions on arrival, how to use the cooker? Or leave pictorial instructions? 

We cannot assume everyone knows how to use our appliances, especially if coming from different countries.

I would have been upset too, but we have actually handed over a portable butane cooker when after a severe storm, there was a loss of power. This allowed guests to boil the kettle in the short term till power came back on.

(However, the types of cookers can vary and mainly become unsafe when used with the wrong sized pots. There has been a safety recall in Australia on a number of portable butane cooker models, due to them combusting, generally with oversized pots causing the whole cooker base to overheat)

@Ashley-And-Maria0

I can understand how upset you would have been when you first realized what happened. I would be furious if a guest brought in a portable gas burner (or any sort of electronic appliance other than their laptop and phone) and used it in my home without my consent..... but I'm pretty sure they really meant no harm. Most people renting entire homes do so in order to feel "at home" and that is probably what happened. 

It's no excuse but most Koreans are VERY familiar with gas burners - I'm not sure if you've ever been to Korea before....... many resturants either have the gas burner built into the table or each table will have a portable one - it's just the way we eat many typical Korean foods and dishes. 

Cook & Eat dinner = Need gas burner on the table. 

20180302_165956.jpg29112124043431005_-1652894170.jpg20130527_181500.jpg

To be fair though, my family does not like to eat this way - my mom never liked having a fire on the table so close to the kids. And since there is no ventilation hood on top of the kitchen table, the entire house would get smelly so my mom always cooked at the stove. 

In terms of reviews, I think hosts should always try to leave honest and factual reviews. Give yourself a few days to calm down then do what you think is right. Good luck~

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ashley-And-Maria0

I can totaly understand why you are upset.

On the picture below is the owen my guests brought with them and placed on my cooktop and partially over the sink ! They plugged this thing in the socket which is not strong enough and not intended to be used for strong appliances. What they have done here was very unsafe!

(guests were jewish so their religion probably prohibits them from using someone else's cooktop)

IMG_0515.JPG

Anyway, when they left I wrote another house rule: " It is forbidden to bring and use your own appliances like heaters, cookers etc... "