Comm with guests. Would be good to get a notification when they have read your message

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Comm with guests. Would be good to get a notification when they have read your message

Before accepting bookings, I always ask guests what time they are arriving to ensure they are not arriving in the middle of the night. If i dont get a reply I have to decline them within 24hours. Also, like to message guests a couple days before arrival to make sure everything is on track for their arrival. Or if I need to let them know I am going to be late getting home etc.  Sometimes I don't get replies, so I am not sure if they are receiving my message as they might be travelling or not have internet. 

So yeah, would be good to get a read receipt, or some sort of notification to know they have read a message. 

5 Replies 5
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Punam0 Agree that would help.  Hate to be left in the dark wondering if guests got my message.  Suggest it to Airbnb!

Amish2
Level 1
Vienna, VA

Can I ask for the guests phone numbers and communicate with them on whattsapp or imessage rather than coming back to airbnb website everytime ?

@Amish2 Once a reservation has been confirmed, you may call, text or email the guest directly.  Before a reservation is confirmed, for security purposes, Airbnb requires that all communication go through Airbnb's messaging system. 

Oftentimes, Airbnb will review these pre-booking messages if a dispute arises about what was agreed to prior to booking.  

Jennifer718
Level 2
Mombasa, Kenya

Am actually trying to trace the conversation with my host but just can't find to get it.I belief the former system where a text would be sent to ones phone immediately was great.l need to wire my payment today.

I need help urgently

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Punam0

I agree that this would be very useful, but in the meantime...

When a guest isn't getting back to me and it's the day of their booking, or the day before, I would text them to check if they got my messages. If that fails, I call. If still no luck, I call Airbnb and ask them to try to get hold of the guest. I would not rely on the Airbnb message system alone if time is running short as unfortunately, quite a few guests book and then never check the message thread again, especially if they don't use the App. I'm not going to hang around indefinitely waiting for a guest who may or may not show up.

I've had Airbnb cancel reservations for me because the guest is being non-responsive. That's always an option if they've instant booked. In one circumstance, the guest had booked and then I never heard from her again. By the day of her arrival, neither I nor Airbnb had been able to reach her by email or on her phone. So, they cancelled the reservation and I got paid in full. She never showed and I hope that she was okay. However, sometimes people's plans change and, when they realise they are not going to get a refund, they don't think it's necessary to inform the host.

For any other circumtances, I try to keep all messages on the Airbnb system. If there's a problem down the line, the case manager will need to see this.