Hosting Pre-approving or declining guest

Hosting Pre-approving or declining guest

On all my previous inquiries, I have always been sent a notice to pre-approve or decline the guest. Today, I received a message confirming a booked reservation, with no prior notification. As it turns out, it is fine, but what if I had wanted/needed to decline? If my calendar shows available, does that mean that a guest can simply book it with no prior notifications to the host? Thank you.

9 Replies 9
Jamie197
Level 1
Michigan, United States

I had the same thing happen today. The customer is all confused. I have no way to respond to her request but it shows the dates on the calendar are booked

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

You need to adjust your settings. 

There is a setting called "Instant book" which means if a guest meets the criteria you establish, they do not need to get approval. You need to turn this off to require guests to seek your approval prior to booking.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/484/how-can-i-control-which-reservations-i-get-with-instant-book

I am set up for instant book already. Will I get a message for Airbnb saying they booked? It shows pending but not confirmed and the lady never got a confirmation email either but her card was charged and the dates on my calendar are blocked off

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Jamie197

If it says "pending" it may have to do with the verification process or the payment process.  Some guests try to book without the necessary verifications in place and they are given a certain amount of time to rectify. The pending will either go through or expire after 12 hours. In the meantime your calendar remains blocked.

hi . can anyone please explain the huge difference in between the special offer i send to my host like 2400 and the amount that they are requiered to pay like 2960?

My first booking came thru instant which was not aware of.  So I went in and turned off instant.  Ones came in showing decline or pre approval.  Then yesterday I got an instant booking, which has given much anguish , because we were already discussing  with friend about booking.  Friend has bought ticket.  Suggestions?

@Diane548, the IB reservation came through AFTER you had turned off IB? If that is the case, it might be some type of glitch and you might be able to contact Airbnb and have it canceled at no penalty. I guess you know, don't cancel any booking on your own without going through Airbnb.

Is there a chance you accidentally turned IB back on before this booking came through?

I am so sure it was turned off, but am now second guessing myself.  I have contacted Airbnb with the situation.  Either way, someone is not going to be happy.

@Diane548

Try contacting Airbnb in some cases they allow you to cancel bookings made through Instant Book penalty-free. 

If that doesn’t work you could also explain the situation to the guest and politely ask them to cancel.