Credenza Murphy Bed?

Tom937
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Credenza Murphy Bed?

Would you stay at an AirBnB in which a bed like this was the only bed available? 

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/brayden-studio-estella-queen-storage-murphy-bed-with-mattress-...

9 Replies 9
Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

I'm loathe to even pull out my own sofa bed? It's a nice idea but I don't like the idea of setting up the bed frame, and I assume having to make the bed up.  There's something nice about entering a room and seeing a freshly made bed, four pillows, duvet and shams on. Just my opinion.

Thanks, yeah I would definitely make the bed up before arrival, but I'm worried about the quality of these murphy beds.

@Tom937  I've never encountered this style, but have slept on Murphy beds before and they were quite comfortable. But those were the pull down from the wall type, not something that would be folded up and have to be unfolded. Maybe there is a store in your area that sells them and you could go lie down on one and see how it feels?

I would feel claustrophobic with the part hinged up over my head.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I wouldn’t ever buy something like this for a guest without physically trying it out @Tom937 

whatever you buy go to somewhere where you can try the beds in person.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Tom937 I couldn't answer without having more details on the listing. If this was a budget listing and I was only planning on staying for one night, I might consider it. If it was for a more luxurious/romantic  listing where I was planning on spending more time, probably not. In a value priced urban pied-a-terre listing where people are out and about for most of the time, it might be fine.

I'm also not crazy about the top of the box being over your face while you sleep. What happens if that gas shock fails (as they are wont to do)? Two pieces of wood slamming together 6 inches from your face in the middle of the night would probably be a pretty rude awakening.

A good place to look for murphy beds is Costco. They have them available on their website, and their return policy is amazing.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

The folding bed is a good interior decision, but in my area they will never be popular, because the price of the folding mechanism is too high - almost 500$ for a set. This is more then a regular bed with a good (above then the middle class) mattress.

Lauren2299
Level 2
Decatur, IL

Not the exact same, but when I first started renting out my room I only offered a futon bed. Keep in mind, it was a very cheap accomodation ($25 a night) but it was meant for people that just needed a place to crash. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that if your price is very low, I wouldn't mind it. However, it looks like that piece in particular is almost $2000, so it may not be worth it to you. (My futon was a $100 futon that I schlepped around during college) 

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Tom937: There is a chain called "The More Space Place" that specializes in all forms of murphy bed configurations if you are looking to try the mattresses out. I'm not sure if there are any in your area. We looked into murphy beds here but the cost was just to much as we found the mattresses to be mediocre at best. We have a lot of longer term guests in-season (2-3 weeks) so a comfortable bed was and is paramount. 

Thank you, yes I think I've ruled out this option as well.