Day 14: How Allowing Last Minute Reservations Saved a Mother-Daughter Christmas Trip

Matt26
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Day 14: How Allowing Last Minute Reservations Saved a Mother-Daughter Christmas Trip

It was December 24th, 2016 at 2:53pm. I’ve just received a frantic request from a mother and her daughter sitting in a local Starbucks. They needed a place to stay for the next three nights – Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Their profile showed they were from Brazil. I live and host in Canada.  What on earth could they be doing in Starbucks at 3p with no place to stay for the next three nights all the way From Brazil??

Like many of you, last minute requests can make me nervous. Especially ones that come minutes before check in time. In the past, I’d thought about not allowing same-day requests to avoid hosting bad guests. For some reason though, I decided to allow them and just closely monitor my requests. The downside to this strategy is having to decline too many guests or spend time on the phone with Airbnb; because same-day instant bookings can’t be canceled without calling in. On Christmas eve, just before 3p, it now seemed evident why I left it on.

I immediately responded to the guest, Thais. I asked her why she had left securing accommodation to such a late date, especially over the holidays. She replied instantly. She explained that they’d booked another Airbnb, but sadly they’d arrived to find that it was not what they were expecting and not guest-ready . She was so disappointed. They’d travelled all the way from Curitiba, Brazil for a mother-daughter Christmas vacation. My heart went out to Thais and her daughter. What a terrible predicament to find themselves in so far away from home. Luckily, my cleaner had just finished preparing the condo and it was now ready. I accepted Thais reservation and immediately shared my check in instructions.

65faa68c-732f-4bab-9657-ef173b132fb4.jpg21287d09-7d28-4e09-8d26-8bcf6f3bcf4b.jpg

A few hours later, I got an Airbnb notification on my phone. Since it was Christmas Eve, I was with my family and not immediately available to help any guests on-site. Of course, my mind when to the worst: “had something gone wrong with one of my guests?! Why else would someone be messaging me at this hour on this day”. I quickly opened the app, while thinking of what I’d say to my family if I had to rush out. It was a message from Thais. She was simply writing to me to say that my place was perfect for her and her daughter. She thanked me for salvaging their mother-daughter trip to Toronto. She wished me the most Merry Christmas, because I’d given her one. I was so touched and relieved that I could help make a complete stranger’s Christmas.

On check out, my condo was in pristine shape. Thais and her daughter were the kind of guests, every guest should aspire to. Every once in a while, I get confronted with too many last-minute requests from guests I’m not comfortable hosting. And then I think that I should turn off same-day bookings. Then I think of Thais and her daughter. Three years later, my same -day bookings are still on. You never know when you can help a perfect stranger in need, at the worst possible time.

I wish everyone in the Airbnb community a very Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa or happy holiday season. Hopefully, we’ll hear more about how the hosts in our community have helped to make this Christmas one of the best for their guests.

31 Replies 31
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Matt26  What a nice story 🙂 I've accepted short notice bookings, and they've been some of my nicest, and definitely very appreciative, guests, lol.  In fact, my very first booking was a supremely short notice one, not long after we went live. She was a host herself, coming in with three friends. Never did find out why so short. We were very nervous to begin with, so you can imagine the panic that ensued. All went brilliantly, thankfully.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Same, @Matt26 ! Love your story. My last-minute (and local!) booker five years ago turned out to be a repeat guest we love to pieces. 

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Matt26  Loved your story and so glad you could accommodate such needy guests.  I turned on IB about 6 months ago and have not had any issues so far with my guests.  I've also had some locals book for various reasons, all seemed legit.  Merry Christmas to you and yours and may we all have a prosperous and happy New Year!

Giuliana142
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Matt26  Good to read about a fantastic outcome. I had the short notice booking turned on which resulted in a terrible guest visit. Then I turned my instant booking off, hoping that it will help filter good guests only. Now that I read your story I am inspired to turn instant booking back on and keep an open mind for people in need. I would really love to help people from far away, especially around the holidays. It is always challenging when you’re in a foreign country. @Matt26  that is an amazing story.

@Giuliana142  You can keep IB turned on, but restrict bookings via IB to the the day before or a specific time the day of. I admit that I don't allow IB the day of check-in for a multitude of reasons. I only turn it back on when the airport is reporting a large number of flight cancelations due to weather.

Yes, @Susan151  this seems reasonable. I will be turning IB on again, limit check-in times, however I will perform a thorough interview before I accept my next guest.

Just last weekend I had a guy book through IB. He checked in at 10 pm and used my space for a one night stand. Two hours later an empty alcohol bottle and a bunch of condoms were left behind in the trash bin. I had to clean and disinfect the place. I reminded him that there’s a charge for the extra guest but they got upset and left. I do not want our family home to have such a reputation. Nobody does. 

@Giuliana142  I really don't get how people started to get the idea that an private Airbnb room in someone's home was an acceptable substitute for a Motel 6 hook-up room. What kind of person does that?

@Matt26 Lovely story you shared here. I don't use IB and don't allow same day bookings, but I can certainly appreciate the value of what you were able to provide for these folks and I'm sure they'll never forget your hospitality.

I'm sorry to hear about your disrespectful guest. They're so maddening and ruin it for the rest.

I just want to clarify, while I accept same-day bookings through IB, it doesn't mean I don't thoroughly vet all my guests. Airbnb provides us with 3-penalty free cancelations for Instant Bookings. I rarely use them, but I do when I'm not comfortable. 

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Matt26

Thank you for sharing with us this fantastic and interesting hosting story 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Great story! With Airbnb there is always a risk. I'm glad there are great hosts out there like @Matt26 and the many rest of us who contribute on this forum to make up for the not so great.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Matt26 Great story!

- I too allow last minute bookings; some are genuine reasons in genuine circumstances, many in summer are touring, & don't know from one day to the next where they'll be spending the night, others are plain disorganised, or unaware of the mutual aspect of home sharing & think we are Booking.com!

- Any thoughts on reviewing my late booker of 2 nights ago, anyone? ( @Sarah977 @Emilia42  @Giuliana142 )

1) Initial contact 12.36pm Thurs, politely requesting check in 8.00am Fri (19hrs 24mins later). Check out 18.30 Fri, same day. Nurse, - 1 daytime sleep between night shifts. I replied straight away that this would be fine, but she needed to book THURS/TONIGHT, not Fri/Tomorrow. 

2) Come 10pm, my last normal check in time, I'd had no confirmed booking nor message so assumed nurse had changed her mind/booked elsewhere.

3) 10.55 I receive Request to book for Fri.  I reply she must book Thurs. I change my last check in settings to midnight in the hope it will now let her book...

4) At midnight, she replies "Sorry, definitely coming, really busy at work" (I'm sure as a nurse she is, but she should have booked BEFORE starting work 100 miles from home!)

5) I sent her 3 messages over the next hour, having extended my check in setting to 1 am - at 1.06 she tells me it won't let her book Thurs - she's missed the check in window yet again!

6)At 1.22 I message her I've changed last check in to 2am (can't go later), at 1.43 she tells me it still won't let her book... So at 1.52 I tell her "OK, You win, I'll accept the request to book for Fri/this evening now... See you at 8am!" (6 hours time!)

- I tell her it's good job I'm watching the UK election results coming in on TV - normal hosts would have been in bed & missed the original 10.55 'ping'!

7) 2.21 nurse messages to say sorry, genuine mistake & she'll pay for the 2nd night which is now blocked - I feel sorry for her & say, no need, no hard feelings.

-Am so wound up, I stay up till 6.15am watching election!

-Up at 8.00am to let her in, she very sheepish & apologetic - seemed too embarrassed to engage, & when she crept out at 6.30pm too.

REVIEW? Yes, it was a genuine mistake, & she was a first timer, BUT after my clear instructions at 12.50pm to book THURS not FRI - she did not attempt to book till past check in time, past most people's bed times & caused me to be on my lap top half the night! If she had changed her 12.36 inquiry into a booking before 10pm - all would have been straightforward. (I view 8am arrivals with 6.30pm same day check outs as permitted LATE arrivals/late check out from the previous day, Thurs, not early arrivals from the same day, Fri.)

@Helen350 wrote:

@Matt26 Great story!

REVIEW? Yes, it was a genuine mistake, & she was a first timer, BUT after my clear instructions at 12.50pm to book THURS not FRI - she did not attempt to book till past check in time, past most people's bed times & caused me to be on my lap top half the night!

Any chance she was like us and unable to log in?

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

No, she was "in traffic", then "at work" on a busy hospital ward she'd never worked on before! Point is, she should have organised her accommodation BEFORE setting off to work 100 miles from home! And not sending 'requests to book' at 11pm, when expecting to arrive at 8am next morning!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Helen350 @Susan151 

Having had  IT Glitches on my Dashboard & been advised first hand by Guests the challenges they encounter with trying to make booking I've good reason to believe it's not only Hosts but Guests as well who struggle with the Platform.

Having spent some time in hospitals recently I have great admiration & empathy for the majority of the staff, including nurses and of course patients who may be sent down the list due to emergencies.