Day 3: How an Introvert with Anxiety Became an Airbnb Host

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Day 3: How an Introvert with Anxiety Became an Airbnb Host

IMG_3148.JPG

Can an introvert with anxiety - and one who gets annoyed by people pretty easily - really be successful in the hospitality business? I set out in May of 2018 to find the answer.

My long-term roommate had just moved out and I didn’t want another one. My former roommate was a dream and I knew it was unlikely I’d get that lucky again. At this point I didn’t need extra money to pay my bills, but it sure was nice to have a cushion for expenses. Airbnb seemed like the perfect solution. I only had to “put up” with guests for a few days at a time and no commitment! If I didn’t like it, I’d just de-list my space.

I was a nervous wreck awaiting the arrival of my first guests. Is my house going to be good enough? Will they like me? Are they going to steal my stuff? Should I lock my door at night? Did I clean well enough? Are they going to break things or stain my sheets? Is it going to be weird bumping into each other in the living room? Did I set my price too high or too low? All these thoughts are running through my head simultaneously and my anxiety is kicking into overdrive.

And then they arrived.

A 50-something couple in town for a wedding. All my preconceived notions went out the window and at once I was strangely relaxed. And strangely enjoying every second of playing “host” to these guests. Then the bookings started pouring in and I started to learn from each guest.

I learned…it’s okay when things don’t go according to plan. If a towel gets stained, it’s an accident and not a personal vendetta against you or a complete lack of respect for your things. It’s not weird bumping into guests in the living room. People don’t care that my home is a humble 1400 square feet and that most of my furnishings are second-hand and imperfect. It’s okay to set boundaries. Sometimes you need to say no.

I learned it fills my heart with joy to know people are enjoying my home. And, I’ve learned that no matter what negativity comes my way, I am GOOD at something. I say this not to brag or boast. I say this because sometimes we all need a little reminder that we are good at something and that we are making people happy.

Anytime I’ve had a rough day, or that anxiety kicks in making me wonder if I’m doing this right, all it takes is a flip through my Guest Book to turn things around. It’s a little time capsule of the ghosts of Airbnb past. It always lifts my spirits and serves as a reminder that people love my hospitality and they love my home.

“Suzanne was without a doubt the best Airbnb host I’ve ever stayed with.”

“She was so welcoming. We loved being around her, Pecos, & August.”

“Suzanne, your home is beautiful and inviting and your hospitality is second to none!”

“Suzanne’s attention to detail and sincere kindness make this such a wonderful place to stay.”

“Suzanne provided everything and anything we could have possibly needed.”

“This was our first Airbnb stay and Suzanne helped create a great, positive first experience!”

“You are acing this whole Airbnb thing!”

“You can tell that Suzanne has such a big heart that wants you to feel like the whole family is included.”

At the end of the day, that’s my goal. If I can make just one person happy, I’ve made the world a little better, a little kinder, and hopefully that person will turn around and do the same for another.

Here’s what I’d love to see in your comments…

Post the review (or reviews) that made you smile the most. What are your reminders that YOU are GOOD at this?

SIDE NOTE: The pic is of my sweet pups August and Pecos who began this journey with me and were loved by guests and frequently mentioned in the Guest Book. Pecos passed away unexpectedly in September of 2018, and I lost my August to bone cancer in March of this year. I have a new pup, Griffin, who has eagerly stepped up to become my new co-host!

19 Replies 19

@Glenn126  What a sweet review that must have had you beaming with pride! Love it!

It's things like that - going above and beyond with little personal experiences - that sets Airbnb hosts apart from any other accommodation.

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Suzanne302  Great job in writing this post! I enjoyed reading it.

I have 27 pages of reviews now. There are a lot of great guests who left great and wonderful reviews. I picked one guest from Spain. I have seen in this forum that the rating system in Europe is different from the US. They normally don't give 5 stars. Here the couple left me all 5s and great review quoted below

"We stayed at Alice's place for a few weeks while relocating in the area and we would recommend it without a doubt. Alice and her husband are fantastic hosts, always there if you need anything. The room is very spacious, the bed super comfortable and everything super clean. Also appreciate the self check in as we arrived late. Very clear and easy to follow instructions. It was our first Airbnb stay and definitely a great one!"

I am happy when I can help other people and make them happy. I love the following quote from your post

"At the end of the day, that’s my goal. If I can make just one person happy, I’ve made the world a little better, a little kinder, and hopefully that person will turn around and do the same for another."

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Suzanne302  How sweet of you to share your honest hosting  story and your sweet dogs....and I am so sorry they are gone now....but glad you have Griffin as your co host. Really swell that you have found the best ways for you to live and host even as an introvert - (a little surprising). Your suggestion is so RIGHT ON. When having less than awesome times, just go read the guest book and it will remind us of those that are grateful, respectful and that took the time to do something special. And also that YOU  are doing something special for those people or person and they are thankful to YOU. Whenever I've had any doubts in the past 2 1/2 yrs with hosting the  best medicine has been reading the guest book, hanging with my little dogs, Eddie and Bentley and spending time on the Community Center. And in the past many months I'm spending more time with my little dogs and less with people, and that's odd as I have lived as an extrovert - but with time, life experiences and choice I'm growing into this new style with much comfort. My little dogs are a great barometer for me and dealing with some people - they clearly let you know who is OK and who is NOT OK for them.  I've yet to see them wrong in how they sum a person up.....I don't home share - have a cottage out back as I am really private and could never imagine ppl inside my home - unfortunately my issues with trust have been tarnished and so hosting at an arms length works well for me. Suzanne thanks again and I wish you a wonderful 2020 and many fabulous guests that continue to add the truth to your guest book.  Happy Hosting! Blessings, Clara

I'm an introvert with anxiety and my first guests arrived. My co host and my inexperience ended with my first booking being for 4.5 months with a couple here working on a building project. I have had a major meltdown and anxiety attacks for the last 24 hours. I am working through them. The couple seem very nice and I'm sure all will go well. I'm taking it day by day to see if this is something I want to continue. Maybe just short term stays so I have breaks inbetween will be better. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Stephanie2232 Any type of rental is stressful to a greater or lesser degree. The one piece of advice I will give you is to try not to worry about the horror stories you read on Facebook and this Community Centre. Almost by definition you will only hear of the bad experiences - very rarely the good ones. I am currently cleaning our place after a 7 night stay of a family with two young children. When I walked in to the apartment I was stunned by just how clean and tidy it was. I should have the whole clean finished in a couple more hours.

Good luck with your endeavours - I am sure you will be fine