Declining guests

Linda1153
Level 2
Bay Of Plenty, New Zealand

Declining guests

I just received an email from Airbnb telling me that my property is less likely to be shown in searches because I have declined the last three requests. These requests all included people asking for things outside what my listing offers i.e less nights than the minimum, tents on the lawn, 12 guests instead of 5. Why am I being penalised for this? Has anyone else encountered this problem? 

13 Replies 13
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Linda1153  I have instant book, so I use that to my advantage with my Strict policy. I tell them they have 48 to cancel for a full refund and these are my condition for the rental if they don't agree they must cancel. It's usually too many guests, they want vistors or to have a party without paying my fees. I have had requests to book that were in no way going to happen. I have asked the guest to cancel the request within 12 hours, if they don't I call AirBnB and let them read the messages and cancel on their end instead of me. They have done this 3 times now.  Don't know if I'll always get them to do it, but so far they have. It's just time consuming to have to do it. If they don't fit explain why and asking them to please cancel their request, so you do not get penalaized from AirBnB for declining them when this clearly won't work for either of you. Like I said I've only had 3 that ghosted on me without cancelling their request and I called on those. It's worth a try. 

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

I did wonder if the penalties were the same for instant book. I use instant book too. I recently had to decline 2 for the same night. First the husband wanted to exceed capacity. I declined. The next day the wife tried to book.

@Linda1153Because I'm on instant book, the only requests I get are from people who want to break rules.

I receive a request to book , but feel uncomfortable to accept, just have a strange feeling. I am a superhost, will i get penalised and loose my superhost status if i decline "without" a reason ?
Linda1153
Level 2

I’m not sure if you’ll lose your status. I think one decline probably won’t matter. I declined several in a row and then was suspended for a number of days. So annoying! I have started explaining my reasons why now and asking them to withdraw their request. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Phone air bnb Explain situation and get air bnb to cancel on your behalf without financial or penalty to your listing.

There is the option to state

feel uncomfortable with booking

my home does not suit the guests needs

I tend to choose the latter option particularly where the guest start changing the goal post AFTER the booking has been made eg 2 guests initially become a request for 4 guests 

You get penalised regardless of reason. If you decline bookings you show further down in search. You will notice this for each decline. Once is not a biggie, but be careful.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Hi @Linda1153, we all get those I think. All of yours are easy to accept, to avoid punishment (which will include suspension of you keep declining).

less nights than the minimum: ACCEPT; You are most welcome to come, but only for a longer stay which exceeds the minimum stay. If this doesn't suit you, you have 48 hours to cancel penalty free.

tents on the lawn: ACCEPT: You are most welcome to stay but not with any tents sorry. If this doesn't suit you, you have 48 hours to cancel penalty free.

12 guests instead of 5: ACCEPT: You are most welcome to come, but only five of you. If this doesn't suit you, you have 48 hours to cancel penalty free.

What stops the last 2 from turning up anyway and pitching tents etc.?

Linda1153
Level 2

Exactly. I have just started explaining why I can’t accept the request and then asking them to withdraw from their end. It seems to be working. 

I guess this depends on if you are a present or absent host. I am down the road. Accept. Can't be bothered asking for them to withdraw, I used to but it got so whiny and complicated. An acceptance works very well for me in most cases.

I do what @Linda1153 does.

For pre-approvals I accept but make it clear my rules still stand and I won't make exceptions. For booking requests, I tell them to cancel/withdraw the booking request or else they will have to go thru the irritating process of a refund (which takes up to a week). My scare tactics usually work and guests are quick to withdraw or just let the pre-approval expire once they realize I'm the type of host that won't put up with any BS.

@Jessica-and-Henry0, I did that yesterday to guests who have stayed before, but this time they have a toddler. Didn't want to slug them with an acceptance (as they would be charged, should have made an ''enquiry'' and not a request). She was livid and accused me of blackmail if she didn't withdraw the request and is reporting me to Airbnb. Calls her toddler an ''infant''. It was not a pleasant situation. I would have declined happily if the penalties weren't there. But they are.

In her first email she tells me how she raves about my accommodation to friends, in the final one she says how bad I have treated her and that she will now tell people that it isn't good. So who is the blackmailer?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I also get this all the time, they get through the filters (aka limitations like max numbers) during booking and then the 'special requests' begin. The word NO is then one's most powerful tool.