Discrimination

Discrimination

I recently declined a booking because we prefer to rent to families.  A request came from medical students who wanted a place to celebrate their medical school graduation. They reported us to Airbnb stating that we were discriminating against their group. Do I have the right to decline a reservation for groups of students?

26 Replies 26

@Joan243 I'm sorry for your situation and I'm sure it is very frustrating. I wish all properties were disabled accessible, but there are many properties which simply aren't.

My own property for example would be very difficult for someone in a wheelchair with all the stairs and tight spaces, but I would discuss it with any inquiry to explain that and as long as everyone was comfortable, would be happy to accept. Some of the hosts you're dealing with seem not to have much couth. 

I would go into search options and tick some of the criteria, which can narrow down your search and hopefully bring up a space for you: 

Thanks John. We are booking a hotel.

Right, @Joan243 my point is that somebody else can book those dates the problem is demonstrably not the dates and the hosts have been clearly proven to be engaging in discrimination.

Your profile indicates that it was just created in July 2018, so you are new to Airbnb. Some hosts aren’t comfortable booking people without reviews from previous hosts. Fill out your profile with as much info as you can and as many verifications as you can. This will help built trust - which is super important when you’re allowing strangers to stay in your home. I’ve hosted many first timers, and have walked a few through completing their profiles before accepting a reservation. Then when searching for a place, use the filters to find places that are wheelchair accessible. My listing has no stairs and wide doorways everywhere except the bathroom - which is small/narrow, so it would not be a good fit for someone in a wheelchair. Hosts know the limitations of their properties and don’t want to risk a bad review by not being able to provide the accommodations a guest needs to be comfortable and safe.

@Joan243   Ali, above, has a point. I also looked at your profile and you are obviously a new airbnb member, which is fine, but many hosts are reluctant to accept bookings from new guests with no reviews and no info. 

The hosts may indeed be discriminating because of the disabled issue, but it could also be because of the lack of info on your profile. Try writing something up, mentioning your daughter, what is required in terms of access, as not everyone in a wheelchair has the same access needs, as well as some other info about yourself and your daughter and see in the future if you get a different sort of response from hosts.

And I'm very sorry this has happened to you.

all we wanted was a room for a night or two. you can not discrimiate against people who haven't ever used the service before. that's what this service is all about.  i'm taking a chance too.  i will never use this type of service or be subjected to this again.

@Joan243   You're not listening to what people are saying. There are plenty of hosts who accept new member guests, I've accepted many. It's not just a matter of discriminating against people who haven't ever used the service before. You say you're taking a chance, too, which is true. But I'd bet the places you were trying to book had some profile info, some reviews, and they certainly had a listing which described their place. In other words, there was information for you to read. Your account has no information. You didn't bother to write up a bit of a profile- hosts can get a good feel for a new guest if that guest has some info on themselves.

I'm done.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I use Instant Booking except for same day bookings and I thought more than half of Hosts did so?

Look for Hosts who use IB?

David

I use instant booking too but the person must have references from other hosts to instant book.  In my case I would explain the difficulties getting in (narrow slightly steep stairs, narrow entryway).  Once inside there is room for a wheelchair.  If that is suitable, I would book with the person.  Who wants a booking with someone who can’t manage the property or will not be happy with it?  Plus, it’s my home, not a hotel and I suffer any damages personally as well as liability.  So if I don’t think it’s going to work I won’t accept them.  Not discrimination, just practical.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Joan243 You have zero (0) information about yourself nor a single review and you just joined, at least from what I see, so host's have nothing to go on. It is just as likely that without you even mentioning your handicapped daughter, most hosts would still would have turned you down.  Why? Risk.

wow fred then why do you do this type "risky work"?  you sound like you would discriminate agaist us too.