Do you have locked rooms in your space?

Tracie24
Level 7
Washington, DC

Do you have locked rooms in your space?

We rent our basement apartment and since have a fairly small house we have locked off two of the storage rooms down there. One is a small room that has the router and my husband's tools.  The other is a larger storage space that hold typical basement stuff (holiday decor, bikes no one rides and paint cans).  Usually when I'm giving the quick tour of the space I just say these two rooms are locked. Occassionally I'll mention whats inside. 

Recently there was quite a bit of buzz on social media when an AirBnB guest opened a locked room and posted photos of the (rather odd) items she found there.  And needless to say folks freaked out. My question is if you have locked rooms in your space what are how telling guests the space.  Are you opening the door and showing them for added peace?  Are you explaining what's inside?  I was thinking of getting little 'private' signs on the doors but figured that would just bring more attention than needed to the space. 

How are you handeling private rooms?

7 Replies 7
Larry116
Level 2
California, United States

I have an in-law unit at the ground level of my home. There are two locked doors in my space. The first is a closet where I store cleaning supplies, towels, and various items used to reset my Air BNB unit. The second is a door which leads to my private space.

I don't have any signage about what's behind the doors. I typically don't check-in my guests so nor would I explain what's behind these spaces.

These doors are both deadbolted with locks, so unless the guest was a locksmith or used a crowbar, he or she would be unable to access these spaces.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Tracie24 I also rent the lower floor of my home, and I also have two rooms I keep locked. One has all our camping equipment, and the other has our electrical panel and other utility shutoffs and Christmas decorations. I just keep them locked: I don't have a sign up. I also don't tell guests what's in there. I wouldn't be horrified if a guest looked, but they're definitely not pretty spaces: they're utilitarian. I just tell guests that they have the entire level of the house to themselves. I think that's all they need to know.

@Tracie24 P.S. I love your apartment! The decor is really great. The black and white colour scheme looks amazing.

Thanks @Alexandra316!  It was fun putting it altogether. 

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

I rent out a whole house. I keep the office, the basement and two of the closets locked. This is mentioned in the listing. 

For my sanity I need to have some spaces that don’t have to be pristine and where we can dump all of are personal belongings.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Tracie24  I would be very upset if any guests broke into a locked space!  I don't think you need to put up a sign or tell them what is inside, the lock should be enough information for them to know it's none of their business!  Very cute space, by the way!

Thanks @Mark116.