Do you think this is a party waiting to happen?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Do you think this is a party waiting to happen?

We have a cottage in a family-oriented resort community that we rent out thorughout the summer. I had a booking request from a guest: they wanted to book a weekend in June for a birthday. They said that they had a friend with a cottage at the park, and they would mostly be at the other trailer: so far, so good. I approved them. 

Now we're closer to the checkin date, I sent the guest a copy of the park agreement that they have to fill in before arrival. I had written 4 people on the agreement, which is what the guest had booked. I got a message back, saying that there were now 6 people because the other cottage had fallen through. I sent a message back saying that 6 guests were fine, and I also sent through a reservation change request. I also mentioned that as per the resort rules, only the 6 registered guests would be allowed to occupy the cottage, in accordance with the resort rules. I also reminded them that we do not allow parties. I was concerned about it because it seems like if the original place where they were going to be celebrating is no longer available, where else are they going to have a party/get together?

Since that message was sent, I have not received a response from the guest. They have also not accepted the change to 6 guests. At this point, I'm pretty concerned about their intentions. I can defintely forsee a party situation, but I'm wondering if I'm being too paranoid. I'd like to hear other hosts' thoughts about it. 

Thanks!

13 Replies 13
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alexandra316 Hey possum, trust your gut instinct here and have CS relocate your guests.

Every time a guest is 'evasive' in the booking process they will turn out to be a problem....there are never any exceptions. Alexandra we try to hang onto that feeling that, maybe this one will be different! But they are not! They drive their own agenda and are not the slightest bit interested in yours.

If this request had come to me Alexandra I would decline it in a heartbeat.

Get onto CS and tell them you are not comfortable with this reservation and they will take it from there without penalty to you...it will go through as a neutral cancellation.

You do not need to host an issue waiting to happen girl.....seriously!

Cheers.....Rob 

@Robin4Thanks Rob, I think you're absolutely right, sadly. I just feel like they're trying to pull something over on me. I don't like cancelling, but sometimes it's just better that way. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alexandra316

I didn't say cancel Alexandra....l said, get onto CS and get them to do the 'dirty work' for you!

Do not ever.....slash.....EVER cancel a guest reservation! 

There is no situation on the Airbnb platform where (as a host) it is acceptable to cancel a guest resevation. Always get Airbnb to do the relocation/refunding for you, don't stick your neck out for a guest.....you will get it chopped off!!!!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4Yes, I will definitely go through CS. I haven't pulled the trigger yet: I'm going to hold off until later today when I have a few minutes to spare. 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Alexandra316, @Robin4 , This will be a party and there will be more than 6 people.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Alexandra316 the cottage is adorable!

I think: call cs, with the complaint that the guest has gone unresponsive and they've indicated that their plans have changed but have not completed the alteration acceptance. Let CS work out the details from there.

This is why I have a rental contract: tell me exactly who is coming, bc that makes it very clear that extra people aren't ok. Again: what is a "party" is up for discussion. But you contracted for Bill, Ted, Mary & Sue but now have also bob, tom, &..... Well, party or not, they're now in breach of their contract. Much easier to deal with.

@Kelly149Thanks! I like it too. 

How do you attach your rental agreement to messages?

I agree that "party" is pretty subjective, and so hard to police when you allow more than 4 people to book. When does a gathering or get together become a party? I think respect has a lot to do with it, but it's very hard to judge when you don't know the person, and also when alcohol and possibly other substances come into play. 

@Alexandra316 I send the contract via email after booking. (Vrbo has a great system of sending saved attachments thru the message thread, here’s hoping abb follows someday)

we say, parties are fine but everyone who crosses the threshold pays. Putting some $$ on the line keeps the crazy under control. Plus they’re across the backyard from me. 

Yesterday my contract saved me from a guest who booked for 2 & then realized that the 5-7 extra people she intended to bring would have to pay. “But you hold 10!” “Yes, we do but 10 don’t cost the same as 2.” ”I think I’ll cancel” “of course, no problem “ whew!!

Katherine197
Level 2
Murphy, OR

We cancelled our very first booking   (24days before the arrival date) . We were new, had instant book and hadn't yet learned about having a guest relocated without penalty. We had very similar circumstances as yours and our gut said NO. Immediatly we stopped allowing instant booking and in order for a guest to be accepted they must have dialogue with us. We like to know names and ages of large groups in case there is alcohol. Our conservative approach isn't for every guest so they don't book! Every guest so far has left glowing reviews and vice versa. Always trust your instincts.  

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Alexandra316 Actually Alex, I would be more nervous about them even honoring the booking, because once you conveyed explicitly about ~expected behavior~ via establishinbg limits - radio silence.  On the surface  perhaps it is best to try to have CS cancel the reservation - it has now too many variables.

I never use the word 'party', for what is it - a function of happiness? Behavior is what really gives it a  meaning.

@Fred13 Yes, but we have to put things into standardized language, and again, if they're not done respectfully, "parties" can be a problem.

You mean you think they're going to cancel? That's totally fine by me, and I would cheerfully fully refund them. Do you think I did the wrong thing by reminding them of rules and boundaries? I just wasn't sure what else to do based on what they were saying.

Not at all, by reminding them of the limitation to their 'get-together' you are flushing out their true intentions. Better now than later.

Honestly, I always do the same, if not sure, I press the guest with facts and sometimes they cancel because they didn't fit in the first place.

@Fred13Thanks for the response. Yeah, I would prefer to put everything on the table.