Don't guess, Guest!

Adam-And-Nancy0
Level 3
Hamilton, New Zealand

Don't guess, Guest!

I'm a full time guest, travelling the world, working from my laptop. I'm also co-hosting, helping my parents with a cottage on their farm. 

As a guest, my top advice for hosts is this - don't guess, be a guest! 

I notice a lot of comments here about having problems with guests, but I believe if hosts spent more time as guests, they'd become much better guests. Vice versa too, for sure, but that's just not so easy to do. 

My top tips for hosts, based on my last 6 months of full time Airbnb guesting...

1. Provide adequate utensils for the kitchen! Tiny frying pans just don't cut it.
  2. Where possible, comfortable beds/couches are the best thing ever as a guest!
  3. For long term guests, (if the property isn't cleaned weekly) provide some cleaning gear/supplies.
  4. Have a map, to help your guests find good supermarkets, restaurants, laundry services, coffee etc.
  5. Offer enough blankets for even the coldest nights - some guests aren't used to your climate!
  6. Provide enough towels.
  7. Let guests know when rubbish day is, and clearly explain how to take the rubbish out.
  8. Finally, and most importantly, provide all of this information in a digital form, so your guest can easily use Google to translate the details into their language.

What other tips to other guests have?

18 Replies 18

I’m a new host and thank all of you for your great feedback! I’m detailed oriented but I didn’t think of everything you shared so thank u! 

As far as the toilet paper and the bounty paper, I only supply one fresh new roll of toilet paper and bounty at my guest arrival. My leftover supplies are left in a closet which is locked with a key and no one can get access to it beside my housekeeper and I. Same with keurig coffee and tea. Hope this help. 

That just makes me so sad. I pray I don’t have that experience. 

Please put in your reviews so that I don’t accept their reservation! It only works if we are totally honest with everyone and apply the good old golden rule. 

Samantha199
Level 2
Barwon Heads, Australia

Ive been a guest when I travelled in Europe, and now im a host. I have had no major problems, just a dog that scratched my back door and ate my spa pipe..lol. Oh and my front deck was accidentally burnt. But these are accidents and Im not too stressed about it. Apart from one couple that complained about being cold even though I have a wood fire and heaters in all of the rooms, all my other guests have been great. I leave small shampoo and soaps and moisturisers, and let people use my condiments so they dont have to buy little things like salt and pepper, sauses etc.  Nothing stolen and when Ive got home it has been really clean. I let pets stay too, My house is just as it is advertised as a classsic beach house, so its not too precious!! 

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Adam-And-Nancy0 An excellent idea for hosts to put themselves in the guest shoes but i would also advice guests to put themselves in the host shoes! Guests must also understand that the host property is not a hotel. Don't guess, Host!