ECO Tips ;)

Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

ECO Tips ;)

aiguabnb.jpg

Hello! 

It's a pleasure to read other Hosts again! We have been very busy this summer, so it has been almost impossible to follow the chats in here, but I need to read them because there have been lots of bad changes (about cancellation policies, mainly).

Today I want to talk about ECO tips that I think we all must work individually and with our guests. I know there are many threads about controlling tools for AC and so but...

What about showers?

15minutes (continous) showers spend 100l wàter!!

Here it never rains 100l per day but people still get mad when you tell them to have short showers...

(then add WC flush 10l/eacj time + washing Machine + wàter for cleaning).

I think AirBNB must request host and guest ECOLOGICAL management and share gràfic infrmation for all of us.

A.

PD: Sorry for my English 😉

5 Replies 5
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Ale113 I completely agree and it would be great if there was a way to highlight eco-friendly listings. I ask people to keep their showers to 5 minutes maximum, which is ample time. Nobody seems to get mad but not everyone observes it! I have stickers and a timer in the shower to remind people of this. Other ways I try to conserve power and water include:

- cold quick wash cycle for the sheets and towels

- hanging sheets and towels to dry rather than using the dryer.

- use of natural non-toxic cleaning products

- recycled, non-bleached toilet paper (from a fantastic Australian company which donates 50% of all profits to providing toilets in developing countries)

- separate labelled bins (lined with newspaper) for waste, including a separate bin for compost

- I discourage plastic water bottles and provide filtered water in a glass bottle

- LED light bulbs

Any other ideas are welcome!

Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

Totally true, @Kath9 !!

I don't use eco soap because we don't have that many options in here but i will find out an eco brand.

Nice point about recycled toilet paper.

I ask them (most of them don't do):

- Close the tap while soaping

- Turn off lights when they leave

- Only one towel/guest (open to two or more if needed)

- Use residual heat when cooking

- 1€/5min use in high consumption devices (hairdryer, iron, stove*...)

- No AC

I even think *host may review* the ecollogical attitude of guests and maybe also guest can review that of the house.

A.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Ale113, you must have eco friendly cleaning products in Barcelona. I forgot to mention I buy everything in bulk and refill containers to cut down on plastic too. I actually stopped stove and oven use altogether because of the excessive use, but the hairdrying drives me mad! Interesting that you charge for that! I also ask that people use the heater sparingly and turn it off when they go out or once they're in bed. 

It would be great if there was a review category for 'eco friendly'! 

Bobbie31
Level 2
Florence, AZ

I totally agree,  especially with AC's running when no one is home and yes, I've asked.  I'm interested in any solutions and thank you for sharing!

Thnxs @Bobbie31 !!

I think once @Robin4  show an authomatic controller for the AC...