Experienced hosts: wording when you catch guests

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

Experienced hosts: wording when you catch guests

I would love to see your wording for when a guest breaks your rules and you want them to pay up without getting terrible reviews.

Examples: caught with extra guests/dogs or smoking on entry camera.

6 Replies 6
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Lenore22 What is your specific situation? Extra guests, smoking? I see you allow pets...

One thing to note is it's difficult to obtain a monetary fine for smoking or bringing pets to a no pet listing. So it's often not worth the 'price' of asking, which will often be a retaliatory review. Because you have so few reviews, a bad one at this point would be detrimental. Once you have 50- 75+ it becomes less of an issue. The appropriate place to address something like smoking is in the review you write for the guest. Pets are another issue altogether that require careful wording in the review, but you allow pets so that's not an issue.

Lenore22
Level 10

The specific issue is less important: but

We have had guests of guests (we didn't call them on it), people smoking on camera (we also didn't call them on it) and people show up with 2 dogs when at first, they never mentioned a dog and then they mentioned only 1. (We charge $20/pet/night)

My concern, however, lies in breeching the subject in a way that doesn't creep them out (they're watching us) and that doesn't make them feel defensive/offended. 

@Lenore22 

What nonsense does "creep them out" mean? its your property and your rules they have broken so stop investing energy and time in worrying how they feel! because they obviously don't give two hoots about you.

Punish the scum, because if the shoe was on the other foot they'd be screaming blue murder to Airbnb.

Thumps down and identify them as rule breakers in your review.

Michael5272
Level 2
Avon Lake, OH

Hi. When extra people stay at the house and wasn’t included in the booking I send this response

”hi, we noticed you have extra guest staying at the house. We do recognize that sometimes things change like extra people decide to come with you at the last minute or you accidentally forgot to add the extra guest staying.  We do charge on a per person basis due to extra cleaning and maintenance that additional people bring when staying.  How would you like to handle the additional fees for the guest”

Lenore22
Level 10

This helps! Thank you!

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Lenore22 

Just give them a thumps down...