Extenuating Circumstances, Unreasonable refunds! Airbnb just continues to take our money!

Jeffery5
Level 8
Wilton Manors, FL

Extenuating Circumstances, Unreasonable refunds! Airbnb just continues to take our money!

I am so tired of the airbnb policies. I have been running my business for 20 years, have 50 properties and almost all 5 star reviews.  But somehow, Airbnb with only a few years under their belt, thinks they need to step in and take control.  No other rental channel interfers in our businesses like Airbnb. 

In life, we as adults, need to be responsible.  We buy car insurance, homeowners insurance, health insurance and trip insurance.  But Airbnb believes that we, as hosts, should also be insurance companies. I can't understand how an illness, a dealth in the family or other "circumstance"  by a guest, somehow makes me they one who should suffer the losses. Yes, it's unfortunate when those things happen but this is business.   People have to insure themselves when they travel, unless they travel on Airbnb.  I even put in my house rules that guests should be trip insurance.  But to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars every year, Airbnb just cancels bookings for almost any reason.  Sometimes they even pay me and then just come back and take money away from me weeks later.   It's out of control.    

Guests who use airbnb are learning how to do it.  Once they get thier first free cancellation, they learn how to set everything up for the next time. 

Then what about these totally unreasonable refunds  Life is not perfect. But again, somehow Airbnb thinks that nothing should ever go wrong in our homes.   If an air conditioner stops working, that's part of life.  So we as responsible hosts, address the issues immediatily and get the repair people there ASAP and fix the issue.  That's how it works in any home. That's a reasonable situation in an hotel or vacation rental.  But Airbnb will refund for anything.  It is there stance that nothing should ever go wrong in any home.  If a guest is without AC for a few hours and the home is still cool, they can easily get a full refund for thier trip.  Infuriating.   Guest are learning how to set up the airbnb thread to get their refunds.  They arrive and start the complaints in the thread.   It doesn't matter what the host does to address the issues, the guest always wins.   Airbnb interrogates hosts, treating us like criminals, demanding we show evidence of everything.   It's infuriating and very expensive to do business with Airbnb. 

All that being said, 98% of my Airbnb guests are wonderful, love our properties and give us great reviews. But the others who know how to game the Airbnb system cost me thousands of dollars a year. 

Hopefully professional property managers and homeowners will start to band together and demand change.  We are not insurance companies.  If Airbnb wants to offer thier guests 100% asssurance of a perfect stay or coverage for any "extenuating circumstance" then Airbnb should sell trip insurance. 

46 Replies 46
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Jeffrey0

You are correct 100%. Their policy is arbitrary and the burden falls unfairly onto the host.

Airbnb is a huge company with deep pockets. One day an insurance company will take notice and start selling insurance tailored to Airbnb hosts.

This insurance could guarantee us payment and doggedly attack Airbnb with legality, PR and financial strength. Then things will change. 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Jeffrey0 

You will notice this post will get very little traction, like similar post before it.

Airbnb’s term and conditions say we’re running are own businesses, yet it not like any business I’ve ever run.

Once you are well versed in Orwellian 'Newspeak', what Airbnb SAYS and what they actually MEAN starts to make some kind of ludicrous sense.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

I had a guest call me looking for a full refund, 4 days before arrival. (8 guests, 4 nights, strict cancellation policy) I asked if he had travel insurance. He said he had... but the Airbnb CX agent he'd spoken to had told him to ask me for the refund instead, because it would be quicker and easier than claiming on his insurance! 

@Susan17,

this is unbelievable. Why doesn't the CS service person refund  $1000 out of her/his own pocket if loosing money isn't an issue at all?

I actually laughed out loud when the guest told me that @Ute0. It was so absurd, it just had to be true! How typical of Airbnb to play so loose and free with the income a host relies on... 

Wow, just wow. Thanks Airbnb.

what?......wow thats scandalous!

Emiel7
Level 1
Täby, Sweden

Hey Jeffery,

I completely sympathize with your post. It happened to us just two days ago as well. The guest lodged a complaint - avoiding actually talking face to face with anyone, and we are 4 people living in this house - and Airbnb didn´t even bother to hear out what I had to say. 

The person of Airbnb, a certain "Max", first claimed that "this is not a legal hearing", i.e. a decision can be made by him UNILATERALLY!!, but a "legitimate investigation process" nevertheless. So in effect, no matter what I say, the process is concluded without considering what the other party has to say. Some "legitimate" investigation... Furthermore, though I have responded in length to the allegations of the guest, and have not received any substantial response to this from Max, he claimed that *I* am "ignoring the issues presented"! So, he demanded that I address the issue, whilst at the same time dismissing them as irrelevant. He has not been of any assistance at all, besides crafting semi-automated paragraphs in claiming to "help".
Does anybody who has similar issues know how to lodge an official complaint, or are we indeed just without any defense against dubious claims made by our "guests"?
Many thanks,
Emiel

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Jeffery5 ,

You are 100% right in everything You say.

May I suggest that You do this if it happens again: As soon as guests on site complain about anything, write to them that they have 2 options:

1) Leave the place immediately, beeing rehoused and the will get a 100% refund für all nights not used

2) They confirm in writing that  they will demand a maximum refund of x%

It's  either or. You will be loosing Your money anyway, so get them out if they don't comply with No 2.

had  a guest who called me once at 2am to complain about a faulty flashing toilet system,the house has two toilets.when i requested if they could just use the other washroom so that we can fix the faulty one in the morning,i was given a very long lecture on how i should hire someone to help me run the business since i dont seem to know what am doing

Hi Reginah  ,

I  have only one answer to this 2am-one-out-of-2-toilets-doesn't-flash-phonecall:  F*** You.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Jeffery5, you're right with your post. I have, fortunately, not had to deal with any cancellations YET. I have read on this forum many stories similar to yours, where guests are allowed to claim extenuating circumstances and the host suffers as a result, losing money. 

Terrible things such as sickness and death obviously occur and that is awful, but it is in no way a host's fault when such things occur. A host should be given the choice whether or not to refund in such cases. I would personally probably give the full refund in some cases if I was in a position in a particular month to do so financially. AirBnb should not be making that choice for us, in most cases imo.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Susan17  I had one guest cancel and AirBnB told them to demand a refund from me. Then AirBnB called and requested I refund as it was best in this case. It was not about the money in this case, it was the guests and AirBnB's attitude that she could demand the money back in a very nasty manner and I should do it. It was only 1 night and I refused. I had to report and block this guest, along with her phone number on the phone yet she still called from another line screaming to give her back the money. There was no way I refunding this pycho, but I probably dodged a bullet by her canceling lol...