Extenuating Circumstances or not- should I give 100% refund for cancelled reservation

Richette0
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Extenuating Circumstances or not- should I give 100% refund for cancelled reservation

So below I listed from Airbnb what may be covered should someone put in a claim.  My issue has to do with weather and really what is extenuating circumstances.  I feel for people when things don't go as planned but as an avid traveler I expect and accept that things can help so I'm not used to trying to pin the blame on someone.  I have a cancellation policy for a reason and that is to give me some type of protection from events that are out of my control.  

This past weekend I was supposed to have guest arriving from NYC on Friday and staying until Sunday.  They had flights originating from Newark on American airlines.  I got the cancellation the day before they were to check in stating their flight was canceled and they couldn't rebook because the Airline was canceling all the flights due to weather and she apoligized for the inconvinence.  I immediately sent a reply stating that was unfortuate for them and since their flight wasn't until the next day to let me know if anything changes and that I will keep a space for them.  I didn't get a reply to that, then today I receive the request for addtional refund.  My cancelation policy gave the guest 34% of my booking amount which I think is fair since they cancelled before check in.  My issue I have with giving 100% is that there were 3 flights that originated from the airport they were going to leave from one being on the same airline they had tickets for that completed it's flight that day plus 6 others from JFK.  One thing I know from traveling is you can get better service standing in front of someone then trying to get them to do something over the phone.  So maybe they did really call to rebook their flight (I'll never know) but that fact that if I don't give a full refund above my policy they will escalate it to Airbnb just doesn't sit right with me.  With the airlines they still have their tickets that they can rebook for travel and although she state she would want to book with me I don't have any guarantee of future booking.  I just feel like I'm being threaten to bend to the guest will.

What would you do in my situation?

What might be covered under the Extenuating Circumstances Policy?

Valid circumstances include:

• Unexpected death or serious illness of a host, guest or immediate family member (spouse/partner, child, parent, legal guardian, grandparent, or sibling)
  • Serious injury that directly restricts a guest’s ability to travel or a host’s ability to host
  • Significant natural disasters or severe weather incidents impacting the location of destination or location of departure
  • Urgent travel restrictions or severe security advisories issued after the time of booking, by an appropriate national or international authority (such as a government office or department)
  • Endemic disease declared by a credible national or international authority (such as the US Center for Disease Control or the World Health Organization)
  • Severe property damage or unforeseen maintenance issues that directly impact the ability to host safely
  • Government-mandated obligations issued after the time of booking (ex: jury duty, court appearances, military or government assignments)

14 Replies 14
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Richette0 They made a choice to book with airbnb vs a refundable hotel. This was their CHOICE. They knew your policy. They could have purchased travel insurance. I personally do not believe in any extenuating circumstances alltogether. I vote no refund. 

I agree that they have that option to choose something that offers 100% refund or buy travel insurance but I do also believe there are extenuating circumstances just not really in this case since so many flights left that day.

@Richette0  You can leave it up to Airbnb to decide, which is what will happen anyway if you decline to refund more and the guest escalates it.  Unfortunately, Airbnb extenuating circumstances are very wide ranging more so than travel insurance. I had a similar situation once, I declined and quoted the extenuating policy in my response–Airbnb did honor my policy, but other hosts on this forum have said they have lost out on the flimiest of excuses from guests.

Michael1357
Level 2
New York, United States

I had the same issue a few weeks ago, I requested proof of flight cancellation and then refunded 50% of the total amount I received as payout. This is one of the few instances where I do provide some type of refund with proof. I do also sometimes offer the opportunity for a discounted rate on a future stay for people that need to cancel (which is not sanctioned by AirBnb). However, you technically don't have to give any additional refund because your cancellation policy is clear so don't feel pressured to do so. 

Also, do not hold the room for anyone that needs to cancel, make them cancel as soon as possible so you have a chance to try to rebook the room. The guests with the flight issue said to me "when is the latest we can let you know" and I was like you need to let me know now. With my situation, I was actually able to rebook the room with a last minute booking. 

[Inappropriate content hidden]

@Michael1357   The guests already received a refund of 34% and I assume from the question posed that they are now asking for 100%, what would you do, counter offer with 16% more to bring it up to 50%? 

Michael1357
Level 2
New York, United States

I would offer them 16% more if they provide proof to make it 50%. If they fail to provide proof of cancelled flight then I would not up it to 50%.  Now, the guest in my case was still not satisfied with my kindness at 50% and wanted 100% but I was covered under my moderate cancellation policy and did not have to provide the full 100% refund. 

The cancallation policy is a contractual agreement so AirBnb can not force you to do anything in this situation, it is up to you to make that decision. 

@Michael1357  Thanks, I was curious. Same happened to me, slightly different circumstances, the guest escalated it to Airbnb –Airbnb asked me if I wanted to refund the guest 100%, I declined and my policy was honored.

Michael1357
Level 2
New York, United States

@Ange0 AirBnb is always asking to provide some type of refund, in some instances it is warranted and in many is not - but cancellelation policy always wins so AirBnb can't really do anything but ask you. I had one this weekend that cancelled an hour before check in due to sickness and AirBnb wanted me to reschedule to a date that I did not even have open. Then they wanted me to provide some type of refund. I only gave them the additional guest fee back of $15 and let them know I would provide some type of discount on another stay at my AirBnb. If I don't have time to attempt to rebook the room and actually get it rebooked then I do not provide anything aside from added fees if applicable. 

@Michael1357 thank you for your kind words

Richette0
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

So update.  As I was typing my rant I had an epiphany.  When you book an flight and they cancel on you for the majority of people you don't get a refund because the ticket you booked doesn't not have it in the policy but what you get is a promise to rebook at a later date.  So I offered a compromise that is better than the airlines since I actually do have a cancellation policy that provides refunds based on how early of notice you give.  I upped the already previously autopaid refund of 34% to 50% and agreed when they rebook that it will be only the other 50% and she agreed that was fair.

I do believe there are legitimate reasons to cancel like a death, illness or legal requirment and sometimes weather but not in this case since 9 flights for their destination left that day.

What I really wish is that there was a little more protection for the host from Airbnb.  If I had canceled on them I would have incurred an immediate fee and would have to prove my case to to Airbnb to get reimbursed and I would have had a negative remark on my review.  I understand this is probably in place to keep fake profiles hosts from using the site and to keep host that advertise on multiple platforms from booking someone then canceling for a guest willing to pay more but there are also legitimate reasons for a host to cancel that shouldn't penalize them either.  Just a little vent.  Thanks for the comments.  I'm glad I was able to resolve it between the guest and I.  Now I have the opportunity to dazzle them when they come and provide them a great stay.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I would offer 50%, split the loss right down the middle. If the guest is amenable to it you stay clear from the you-never-know-Airbnb-decision-making process.

Addendum: Meaning a total of 50%, same suggestion @Ange2 said above.

Veronica329
Level 1
Cork, Ireland

A guest asked to book a room so replied within 10 minutes saying it was a available, i received a message from airbnb immediately saying it was booked . The following evening the guest sent a message saying she didnt realise airbnb confirmed and took the money immeditely even though this girl has used this site many a time , she then said she had already found accomadtion and that she had text someone else and was waiting to see who would reply first and the other person did , now again she didnt tell me this till the following  evening after booking . I told her to please cancel the booking so as had some else who would take the room who didnt after all as the found some where else , But the guest is now looking for full refund and airbnb has sent me a message to respond , what do i do . I have a strict policy and she cancelled 3 days before arrival. thank you , below is i message i received today from airbnb and and guest

Your guest is requesting additional payment for an issue related to their Cork trip. You have until Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 10:00 PM IST to respond to this request. Hosts with multiple unresolved requests like this one may be subject to review

15 Apr-22 Apr · 1 guestPrivate room for female guest with parking on road
Thank you,sorry going back and forth as my circumstances changes.Please can you refund me 159.30 euro.
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'd probably refund 50%. 

Heather397
Level 3
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hi I have been with Airbnb for 2 years now and although I have a strict cancellation policy I have refunded on a couple of occasions when the guest has contacted me and the reason sounds valid and usually have plenty of time to rebook and usually do. There was a booking from January for 6 days for the end of August which has just cancelled via Airbnb and contact via myself I am furious surely someone should have contacted me first with thanking me for my understanding. The booking at the beginning had was strange as he stated that my apartment better be as good as my reviews stated! not happy at all as August is our busiest time.