[FESTIVAL] Growing Loofah Sponges in my Garden

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

[FESTIVAL] Growing Loofah Sponges in my Garden

Clara116_3-1650629357453.jpeg

Each day we have challenges before us all but hopefully we are learning of our footprint, the impact we have, and what that means on a large scale and also on a very small scale, in reference to our environment. 

Like many, I thought the world was so big, I'm just me and I can't really make a difference. But, seeing the impact, and learning from the professionals, I’ve learned that a whole lot of people, like me, can indeed make an impact with small positive changes to their lifestyles. 

Clara116_0-1650629357430.jpeg

David (my husband) is the organic gardener in the family and I'm the food manager,  cook, organizer, and loofah grower-lover. So, it was a natural fit for me to grow loofah sponges, which grow on a trellis/vine and not in the ocean, as I once thought. 

Clara116_2-1650629357467.jpeg

Loofah sponges are easy to use and great for a couple of things. They do away with the need to ever purchase cleaning sponges — I always grab for them instead of paper towels to wipe stuff up daily. They are the best cleaning helper I know of out there. They last about a year, you can wash and dry them out, or better yet, throw them in the dishwasher to thoroughly clean them for multiple reuse. I clean just about everything with them — my body, my face, our kitchen, the bathroom, dishes, and my Airbnb cottage. So, of course, I have different ones and sizes for different jobs. 

Clara116_1-1650629357468.jpeg

Many of our Airbnb guests read about the cottage, our lifestyle, and ask about our gardens — I love to show them around and share loofah seeds and sponges with them. Planting a small seed, I think, is the best gift I can give them, along with showing them that we don't always have to be the "throw away" everything, everytime generation. Often, we share veggies and flowers with guests and it has been such a lovely way of  bonding with and showing them that they can belong here too!

My small effort to make a tiny difference is with one small sponge at a time.

Clara116_4-1650629357474.jpeg

21 Replies 21
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Clara116  You look beautiful, Clara, and what a great way to be sustainable!  I had no idea you could grow loofahs and that they had so many uses.  You're incredible!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'm always inspired by the plethora of things you grow @Clara116 !

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephaniecan you fix my  error....I wrote washing machine...I meant dishwasher! Guess you could put them in there...but I don't. Thanks. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

All sorted @Clara116 

-----

David gets the credit for all except the loofahs... however this season I'll take credit as I'm doing tons of gardening as he heals from shoulder surgery. So this summer I'll be showing what I had a hand in...lol 😆

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I want to come over and eat the lot! @Clara116 

-----

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Stephanie you know you are invited....come on!!💥

Daniel1651
Host Advisory Board Member
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

How exciting what you tell us, @Clara116 , and how inspiring is it!

Thanks for sharing it with the community and best regards to you and your husband David.

Good job!

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

I hadn't even thought about using loofah for cleaning, @Clara116!  Thank you for the inspiration - I shall be making a change at home!  

-----

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Clara116 I will have to go hunting for loofah seeds and give it ago if I  don't I will never know.  Gardening is for the soul, pocket and mother earth.

Elena487
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

Amazing @Clara116 I’ve never heard of Loofah sponges before. Loved your story! Thanks for sharing!

@Clara116  This is such a great post! I remember you telling us about growing loofahs and I had no idea. You are fabulous ❤️

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

@Clara116, lovely! Very inspiring!  

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Congrats to you @Clara116  and your husband on that sustainable attitude.
What a surprise. I grew up using this type of sponge when my family lived inland, in a small town. I think everyone in that town used it. Not only for bathing but also for washing dishes.
During a certain time, we had this type of plant that yields sponges planted in the backyard of our house. We didn't need to buy.
My mother still uses this type of sponge for bathing, even though she lives in a big city. Here there are some stores that sell this type of sponge.