[FESTIVAL] Guests with particular needs

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[FESTIVAL] Guests with particular needs

PJO0031318Q403_My-Plus-Homes_Florence_2018-November-06-3838_JL1.jpg

Quincy_2-1661868741009.pngThis article is part of the Community Center's Festival of Hospitality 2022 . The original  topic was posted in the Italian-speaking Community Center by @Silvia105 , and we have translated it below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

This year, I would like to touch on the theme "guests with particular needs," because everyone has the right to stay in comfortable and beautiful homes when they travel.

For me, hosting in an inclusive way means being able to welcome all guests, regardless of their gender, religion or skin color, even if they have a dog or physical disabilities and no matter their age. I am quite sensitive about these last points, because I believe that people with any kind of difficulty in getting around should be able to find a cozy home for their vacations. And in terms of age, I not only aim to welcome newborns but above all seniors, who are looking for quiet and comfortable environments. It's not too hard to look at your space on Airbnb with different eyes and ask yourself if, for example, the furniture layout allows everyone to move around easily, or if there's enough space to access all the rooms, or to note the parts of the home where there are steps, carpets, poorly lit sections of the home or access points, handles, and easy-to-reach switches.

Once we've identified these features, we can add them to the listing to make it easier for the guest to search. Then it's our duty as responsible Hosts to do our best to provide accurate information about the listing's accessibility features (or lack thereof), allowing guests with disabilities to decide for themselves whether the space is appropriate to their individual needs. Being open to discussion and answering any questions, as well as being ready to do something that can help them, will be much appreciated (for example: placing glasses and cups on lower shelves in the presence of a guest in a wheelchair). Putting simple labels in Braille can help visually impaired people, as can using keychains with the name of the room in Braille.

Elderly people abroad travel a lot, much more than in Italy, so they represent a high-spending target group that loves to treat themselves. As such, we should to expect to see a lot of them in our homes. I myself have hosted many cheerful couples who spent a quiet afternoon playing cards on the terrace, after having visited the museums of Milan in the morning. I took special care during check-in because I wanted to give directions so they could go shopping at the local market and suggest all the places not to miss, especially those easily accessible on public transportation. I put out some photo books, decks of cards and some "evergreen" games such as chess for these types of guests.

Quincy_0-1661867262501.jpeg

If your house is near a hospital, you will certainly have requests from people who will spend some time recovering in your house and it will be useful to provide all the comforts for longer stays and not for classic vacations: a kitchen equipped with all appliances, washing machine with dryer, extra pillows in the bed, extra blankets in winter, large closets.

Finally, let's not forget about the guests who need an extra service for some reason: people with problems walking or those recovering from accidents and injuries, families with strollers for small children, mothers in the last months of pregnancy. Make their stay pleasant and memorable.

>>What experiences do you have with guests with particular needs? What have you done at your home? How did you welcome them?

Quincy_1-1661867262499.jpeg

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

8 Replies 8
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Quincy and @Silvia105  I like your idea of being an inclusive host but sometime our properties are not suitable. But if we can add a few facilities to make it more friendly user we should all benefit from going the extra mile as some would say.

I like your idea of putting Braille signs up and being close to a hospital can be a benefit for hosts with extra bookings.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I also like the idea of the braille signs! @Laurelle3 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Silvia105 Wow, you have thought of everything. What an amazingly wide approach and really inclusive style. Thank you....you mentioned things I hadn't thought of in hosting. How right you are. Just because someone is older, less mobile doesn't mean we don't want to travel, live fully and enjoy the world and all its people. I'm planning trips for my husband and myself and I'm looking for host like yourself. Lovely, perhaps we will meet one day. Blessings, Clara

Sheila619
Level 2
Wareham, MA

@pocknett  I have to agree with Laurelle3 as I too like the idea of being an inclusive host but my property is not suitable for guests with physical restrictions (2 story home with 14 stairs).  I am, however, located approximately 10 minutes from the local hospital and will add that to my listing. I am interested in other ways to be make my home more user friendly and always searching for new ideas to ensure my guests are very comfortable and have all they need for their stay in my home. God Bless ABnB Community and take care. 

Deirdre122
Host Advisory Board Member
Stellenbosch, South Africa

@Silvia105 A wonderful article, thank you for being so considerate of travellers with various needs. I travel with my son who uses a wheelchair and I especially appreciate where you speak about providing accurate information so travellers can decide for themselves. Every person's needs and abilities are different and so many places may be manageable for some but impossible for others - access to information is a great starting point.

Bridget130
Level 10
Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy

@Silvia105 all my compliments , we should all take lessons from you . You are fantatstic

Bridget

That was truly a good article as hosting is play a big part of our days , 

I will have a look were I can making change , but my Guest unit is a self catering with steps up to the entrance , and some one in a wheelchair is not going to fit in my toilet ,... But surely we can have look an how to accommodate more elderly people … I must say that I had a couple of elderly couples and they did not mind the steps at all .

Thanks for a great article  

Sofia959
Level 2
Athens, Greece

I have steps everywhere and it is not possible for a disabled person to visit Andros summer House. That's of course very unfortunate 😕 But it needs rebuilding and spending lots and lots of money in order for it to become accessible. 

So, I found it so thoughtful of you. 🌷💕

👏