[Festival] How to survive a double check-out/check-in on the same day and keep a healthy mind

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Festival] How to survive a double check-out/check-in on the same day and keep a healthy mind

Checkin 1.jpg

Cinzia.pngThis is part of the CC Festival of hospitality, original topic created in the Italian speaking Community Center, by @Cinzia29  and translated below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you have 2 apartments there is the possibility of overlapping check-in, even if it is hoped that this will not happen... EVER!

Instead, here I am on a hot Monday in mid-August facing what many of us (including myself) consider a nightmare. Double check-in 30 minutes away from each other: 3:40pm and 4pm.

Obviously, I do not miss bookings, so in the same day there are also 2 check-outs, there is no time to play with in advance.

It's a race against time but, provided that the element of surprise don't play bad tricks, I can do it!!! I can do it, I can do it, I repeat it as a mantra! Luckily, the couple in one of the apartments leaves early. At 9am. I'm already there with everything I need (and my husband helping out) to prepare. I clean, prepare almost everything and at 11am I go to say goodbye to the other couple who leave the apartment. I return like fury to the other apartment and finish preparing. At 11:30am I start the other apartment, at 2:30pm everything is miraculously ready: I do not believe my eyes!

Tired, sweaty, upset.

I go home, park "fantasy" and throw the bags of dirty clothes, I wash myself (it is not nice to welcome guests sweaty and distraught), eat an ice-cream (but remember that hard hosts do not eat!) and I go to welcome guests at 3:40pm: they arrive by train.

I invoke the patron saint of Trenitalia to make sure the train is on time.
But no, the ballet of delay on the station board begins:

15 minutes late (for crying out loud!)
10 minutes late (yay!)
20 minutes late (make a decision?)
15 minutes late (bad liars! It's now 4pm to get this damn train)

The light on the incoming train flashes simultaneously with the sound of my phone. They are the 4pm guest ... In 10 minutes we are there ... A little 'traffic?? A red light??

In the end sincerity is always the best choice, I explain to the 4pm guest that the (damn) train of the guests of the 3:40pm was late and has just arrived so I will arrive a few minutes late....

Then I think...who goes where? I'm always a bit 'afraid of making a mistake in the apartment to be assigned. I bring home the number 1 guests (in the right place): here is the fastest check-in in my history ...

I run to the number 2 guests, they are again a bit upset and sweaty... Meanwhile they have parked and are enjoying a little 'breeze in the shade.

I did it: at 5pm. I'm done!!!

Everybody inside, everybody happy, and incredibly I didn't forget anything... I can't believe it!!! Overwhelmed, sweaty and a little more than tired I go home. I deserve the couch!

Here's what I learned:

1. Detergents, brooms, mops and vacuum cleaners live in the houses you rent. This way they can also be useful for guests, as long as the sugar falls they should not bump to pull it up with a broom and a dustpan. Ditto for the shampoo and conditioner shower soap refills.

I have a bag of those blue Ikea I call my "makeup kit". Inside there are several little things "just in case": a complete set of screwdrivers, pliers, nails and a meter. There are those who wear lipstick, and I wander with screwdrivers!

Also tons of rolls of toilet paper, rags, rags and rags that I use to clean (the one for glass, the one for wood, the one for drying) and then I take them home to wash them ....

2. In cases like the one described, find yourself a helper: I couldn't do it on my own!!!

3. Communication with the guest is FUNDAMENTAL! Otherwise, you can do whatever you want, but failure is just around the corner.

4. Honesty always pays. No one is perfect and to admit to having a problem is not a mortal sin. On the contrary, it helps to establish a more real human relationship. Guests understand that their host is not "one and three" but simply a human being like them trying to do things better

5. The experience will help you. I have learned it over 30 years of working with the public: either drink or drown 🙂

Checkin 2.JPG

Checkin 4.jpg

Checkin 3.jpg

Checkin 6.png

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

10 Replies 10
Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute, 

Merci de partager avec nous ce sujet intéressant 

Merci, 

Miloud

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Thanks for the nice tips, Cinzia! 

Grazie mille per le buone consigli! 🙂

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Cinzia29  ... totally understand! Year ago, I have to host an Airbnb experience and another home's guest arriving early that a time we agree... I still can believe it pass without any problem.     

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Cinzia29  thanks for this nail biting day of hosting...........your ideas and tips are terrific........I might just have to go have an ice cream after all that. Nope, I have to go and clean the cottage for the next guest - fortunately I can do it slowly they arrive tomorrow. Yippeeee..............like a holiday.

happy hosting, Clara

Ella129
Level 2
California, United States

Can you recommend best way to find a cleaning help.  

I call so many places and they don't do for vocation rentals. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Cinzia29

ooo we understand you so well ...! 😉

luckily our both apartments are next to each other so it is much easier

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Cinzia29

Thank you for your contribution to CC Festival of Hospitality.

Great to see another person who enjoys there ice-cream, was it New Zealand made?

I have fond memories of my short visit to Italy.

Great World Map to have included little New Zealand @Lizzie @Cinzia29 @Ella129 @Clara116 @Nutth0 @Branka-and-Silvia0 and @everyone-else

I hope you all now know where we are all living because none of us have any excuses now, do we?

All the best

Lan1
Level 10
El Cerrito, CA

I experienced this very often! Two houses, not in the same location. Luckily I have my cleaning crew to help, but I always have to check afterwards, as they could miss small details: for Chinese guests, switch on boiler water dispenser as they always need hot water for tea, or just drink warm water, sufficient toilet papers, refill shampoo, some small repairs ( guests broke blinds all the time) etc. The real issue I have is that sometimes the guests don’t communicate, barely reply my messages, suddenly showed up early or 2-3 am later, I have to tell myself be patient, and try my best to accommodate them. The worse scenario is they got mad when arrived, because they don’t know how to switch on lights, use washer, tv or stove (maybe language barrier or just didn’t read), I had to personally teach them , sometimes at 3-4 am. I got great reward when saw their happy smile, but not always, some still mad and requested refund compensation....

That is life! We all have to experience the sweetness and bitterness, we can choose to be positive and enjoy the experience or fighting it, be suffering and stress.... 

周蘭
Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

My guests arrive by car so I never have to worry about meeting a train, but I’ve had a few situations with late check outs necessitating later check ins because there’s just enough time to “flip” when guests do leave on time.

I’ve learned to be precisely organized and have everything I need within easy reach to maximize every minute.

If there’s a chance I won’t have everything perfect in time, I’m honest, and let the guests know I need an extra 30 minutes or an hour to have everything perfect for them.

Ive never had anyone respond negatively or had it effect my reviews.  In fact, most guests have been very appreciative of the results.

I totally relate to taking a few minutes to shower and regroup so I can welcome them calmly with fresh energy...as though I hadn’t just accomplished a world record reset, and I do reward myself with a treat...because I deserve it!

Rishabh10
Level 4
Accra, Ghana

Double bookings are a nightmare! Thanks for sharing tips on how to prevent them. These will surely be helpful.