Filthy kitchen From previous well review guests

David64
Level 4
Yarmouth, ME

Filthy kitchen From previous well review guests

I have been hosting for several years now. It has been a great experience. I just had another young couple staying in my newest listing who completely trashed the kitchen. Filthy beyond belief. It’s as if they are trying to make as much a mess as possible. Every pot and pan with burned on food. Counters covered in food and grease dishes and silverware covered with dried on food. There is a dishwasher that they ran with 1 cutting board in it and that’s it. The first time this happened I contacted Airbnb and they helped me resolve the problem after I had spent 2 hours cleaning the kitchen. This time I followed their lead in dealing with the guests. I am wondering if this is a trend with younger guests?  They seem completely unaware of what’s wrong with it. They both had great reviews from previous hosts. They will not be getting one from me to save future hosts from these filthy guests.

13 Replies 13
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I look at a great number of posts from hosts who are reluctant to give negative reviews, @David64  so I hope you will give a thumbs down review to these guests.  Air BNB is promoting Instant Booking and the only way for hosts to be "safe" is if other hosts will provide honest reviews.  

I don't know if there is a "trend" about "younger" guests, but I do understand the popularity of Air BNB has increased with all the marketing so the odds of getting a guest that just doesn't get is increased.  

I think people who would have booked at Motel 6, think they can get better accommodations through Air BNB, which they can, but they have a Motel 6 mentality.  Sorry Motel 6, but price driven bookings are often disappointing to the host who is just trying to offer a good value to respectful people.   Maybe you should raise your rate!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Perhaps they recieved those good reviews from hosts providing places without a kitchen. I too have experienced this from young people, why I am doubly cautious with them. A filthy kitchen is indeed not a joking matter, for it may cause a 'bug' problem. Imagine pulling this stunt in a tropical setting - instant 'roach motel'.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@David64

My experience is that it has more to do with guests nationality then age... or gender. It is more cultural thing I would say. Unfortunatelly those nationalities do travel a lot lately 😞

We had a lot of young groups who left the place spotless and older groups who didn't .

@David64   "I am wondering if this is a trend with younger guests?" 

I think it's just that some people are complete slobs regardless of age, gender, nationality etc.  I try to make the rules as clear as can be and never assume that everyone obeys common courtesies, and point out penalties upfront.  But, like you, I have had guests with stellar reviews who were a complete nightmare. They offered me 5 stars and a great review when confronted with their damage and mayhem.  I said I didn't care about the review or the stars, they should rate and review as they pleased.  It did make me wonder if the deal they offered me is taken up by hosts in pursuit of higher ranking to the point that terrible guests get great reviews and ratings.  "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" has been well documented on Uber. Every guest remains a calulated risk despite reviews and so I even take guests with no reviews.

@Ange

I had one cheeky cus. (German) who told me she could ruin my business, because I confronted her over additional unpaid guests, I told her to bring it on and gave her a thump down, she went nuts when she read my review and said she was going to report me to Airbnb, I simply pointed out that I had kept AirBnb fully informed of her shenanigans and besides her email were littered with inconsistences (lies).

Being Irish we don't take abuse lying down and dam the consequences, for my point of view this is about self respect.

Your probably wondering, I never heard a word from her since.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's club Krakow III

They made a poor attempt at cleaning up the kitchen. Even with a dishwasher they did a bad job hand washing the dishes and cookware. The bed was made up, unusual for them. Surprise the underside of the comforter had red wine on it. All things I was able to take care of myself. Usually it takes about an hour to flip the apartment. Four hours later, mostly in the kitchen it’s ready for my next guest. Of course he gave me a glowing review and nice personal message. From me a thumbs down. I would not want him back or impose him on anyone else here. It’s all part of our duty to other hosts.

Doing house cleaning my whole life  I certainly sympathize with your position.  I take everyone on a tour of my home and make guest's aware of how clean everything is and I expect them to work on keeping it this way which is totally different than STAYING in a hotel than STAYING in someone's  private home.I also have things in my house rules as stating if they leave dirty dishes in the sink ,just as a hotel would charge you so will I!! I also let them know I have 2 dishwasher and won't charge them as long as the dishes are loaded  and run I will gladly PUT them away.  THE glass table is another story. I leave an excellent glass cleaner and special no lint blue surgical rags sitting on the table and point out THEY can use placemats or a table cloth if they prefer not cleaning the glass table after each use.  Only once have I left a review that said it looked like they had a finger painting contest on the table.  Good luck WITH future guest's and be sure to let them know what you expect in your home! PETE 

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Is up to you now, and give them a bad review like my dad say respect my house and the the house respect you 

Bob39
Level 10
Goldfield, NV

I'm tired of cleaning up after sloppy, dirty guests. I have just added a $50 cleaning fee to my listing.

But, I also have added this to my House Rules:

"If you leave the kitchen and bathrooms as clean as they were when you checked in, I refund the cleaning fee to you, through AirBnB. You do NOT need to make the beds, vacuum or do laundry - we do that. Cleaning supplies are available."

@Bob39  Ha! an incentive to behave - great idea.  How is it working out?

I just started that today, so it's way too soon to see how it will work out. I don't get many guests anyway, AirBnB thinks my price is too high and I refuse to use Smart Pricing or Instant Booking. I only want quality guests who can afford it and will treat the place respectfully. It's not fair for a scrupulously clean guest to pay the same price as a sloppy, dirty guest who leaves behind a mess.

Hmmm $50 isn’t bad Bob. 

When I travel I look at the security deposit and cleaning fee if it’s over $50 I look elsewhere. I always leave my host house spot less. I bring my own blanket and towels so that they won’t do much laundry. And when I cook, every pot and pan is clean.. 

Janet225
Level 1
Olive Branch, MS

I have raised my damage deposit because of the problems I am having with my guest. You can’t trust the auto booking policy. I have had packed housing over loads. I wish they would offer a different insurance. I tried to collect on a