Fraud Possibility

Wayd0
Level 2
Saskatoon, Canada

Fraud Possibility

my current guest had asked to stay an extra two months but wanted to pay outside of airbnb to save on fees. when i inquired how she planned to do this she showed me a screen shot of a form she had recieved from a previous host... she suggested this method of information sharing would suffice... this form had sensitive information regarding the host's personal bank account... it had his full name, his signature, mailing address as well as institution, transit and account numbers to his personal bank account... why she has a screen shot of this and readily shows people is unnerving. my concern here is this woman is carrying around quite important information about a prior host. how do i contact this former host, who has left her a very nice review, to inform this person that their personal banking information is walking around in a former guest's handheld photo library?

8 Replies 8
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Wayd0 I don't understand you....you said that she showed you form with his name and email so contact him on that email.

Be carefull with bookings longer then 28 days... she will not be guest any more, she will become tenant so you should have a contract and be familiar with tenancy low in your country

there was no email that i noticed, it was a mailing address (home address)

i was shocked at what she was showing me so i didn't look closely enough or long enough to memorize full details... i honestly assumed that i could contact airbnb and let them know or find the host through her reviews and profile... this service lacks in that department... i let her know this was not what the previous host intended this document to be used for and suggested she delete it... her response is why i wish to contact this host

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Wayd0 , you say that host has left this guest a very nice review. From that review, click on his profile, go to his listing, send him an inquiry.. that's one way of getting in touch with him.

You also may want to flag this host and/or guest to bring it to Airbnb's attention. Will you leave a review for this guest?

i have tried to find their profile many times through the review and just even searching through listings in my city... maybe this former host no longer hosts? 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

The information you would have if somebody wrote you a cheque?

David

my most pressing concern is this host provided sensitive information for a singular purpose... that information is being shared with strangers and is walking around contained in the photo library of someone's handheld device... i would want to know... i personally would not give a stranger a cheque or a document with that information... imagine the information belonged to your sister or daughter 

airbnb has been sincerely zero help with making me feel more comfortable or even closely resolving this... and i have tried multiple avenues in an attempt at accomplishing both... that is worth noting 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Nowadays I do a lot of my banking on line but must have written thousands of cheques as have my female relatives.

David
Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

@Wayd0 don't do anything outside of Airbnb's rules.

murphy's law always happens. 

ciao