Ghosted by a guest

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Ghosted by a guest

What do you do when a guest books, doesn't check in and does not answer messages? We had a very friendly couple book and just never show. Good reviews in their profile but our place is untouched. I sent check in instructions, messaged the next day when nothing showed up with the cameras outside, messaged again on check out day. Nothing. How do you handle this?

8 Replies 8
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Laura2592  You take the money and move on to the next guest. Why would you feel the need to do anything?

@Gillian19 wouldn't someone want a refund in this situation? 

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Laura2592 Maybe they are one of the rare breed of guests who read the T's &C's and aren't trying to rip of a host for something that was obviously their issue. I had it happen to me once, and seriously didn't give it  a second thought once I got over the 'great, no cleaning needed there!!!'

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Laura2592, I would not offer a refund - after all, they had the place booked so no one else could book it. However, it is odd they havent contacted you, so I would be somewhat concerned about their welfare and would consider reporting it to the police.

@Kath9I did say that to my husband. We have their phone number -- the guest provided it. I have considered calling to see if they are okay. My mate thinks its more likely there was a breakup or big fight that precluded their stay. I think its very odd that we wouldn't get some kind of info about whether or not they were planning to come at all. 

@Laura2592, yes, maybe try calling them - I would do that before calling the police. It could have been anything that stopped them coming (breakup, fight, accident, death in the family), but it's the not contacting you that is the odd bit.

@Laura2592  I'd go a different direction with this one. I don't see the benefit in calling them, because if anything comes up with this booking later on you'll want a paper trail you can refer back to word-for-word.

I would send a message in the Airbnb messenger noting that the checkout date has passed and that the guests have not come, and leave it at that. 

People want refunds for all kinds of crazy things but I can't imagine how this situation would merit one.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  I had a guest who wasn't answering any of my messages and it was getting on to just a few days before her booking date (she had booked a month and a half ahead). She lived in Lebanon, so I couldn't call her. I asked Airbnb to get in touch with her, and they also were unsuccessful for 2 full days. Finally on the 3rd day, a day before she was due to arrive, she messaged me, profusely apologizing, saying she'd had a close family member die and her travel plans, and her Airbnb bookings were quite far from her mind. She hadn't been checking her email, text messages, or Airbnb messages. 

At that point, she cancelled, got a 50% refund according to my moderate policy, but she never requested any further refund, and if I hadn't pursued trying to get in touch with her, she likely would just never have shown up with no communication and without having cancelled.

It could be anything- I'd just forget about it. Not all guests demand refunds when they can't make it- some people actually don't make their own problems someone else's, believe it or not.