Going out of your way - How much is too much and not worth it?

Anne10908
Level 6
Denver, CO

Going out of your way - How much is too much and not worth it?

I recently extended a guest's stay for free (1 day), have given them a 5-star review and hoped for the same.  Said guest is "back to work and too busy but will get to the review".  I get all that and maybe I am expecting too much from guests but how much is too much and how do you keep yourself from getting disappointed by what guests give back vs. what you expect?😞

19 Replies 19

I like that, thank you.  At the end of the day, I get to move on knowing I did a good deed, he is the one that will be remembering how not so nice he was despite my efforts.  Some people through have little to no conscious.  Oh well, I am just learning not to be too nice and when nice, not to expect anything in return as some guests take the entitled mentality to a whole new level.  😞

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

@Anne10908 @Must be a Denver thing, I usually give all my local Denver guests a free night, lol,  I just figure they hardly ever get to the mountains even though they are right there.  Guess what, they always appreciate it and leave terrific comments in the guest book, but have never left a review.  I’ll keep doing it, but a review would be nice once in a while😊

Thank you.  I'll keep doing it.  Like the host below says, I will take pride in my efforts / success and consistency and not look to what others say to be my  yard stick 🙂

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Anne10908 your reward for your good work is your pay out. To quote Don Draper, "that's what the money is for!"

Stop expecting anything more than that. Though Airbnb loves to market their citizen-of-the-world- touchy-feelgoodedness,  this is not a charity nor a basis for friendship. You offer lodging for payment. Period. 

So stop expecting that your extra efforts will be met with an equivalent level of appreciation. Find your joy in making your space comfortable and special. Some guests will get that and give you a boost from time to time. But most just expect to pay and be gone. And some will be a difficult fit for you. Treat this like the business that it is, and take pride your success and consistency, not what others mention or reciprocate. 

Read this. It might help especially with your pricing 🙂

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/New-to-Hosting/Things-I-Wish-I-Had-Known-When-I-Started/td-p/147...

Thank you.  This is key.  Thanks for sharing this for me and others like me to review.