Guest Barbecue (mis)Use

Yvette67
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Guest Barbecue (mis)Use

Hey All,

I just learned that my last guest left my large barbecue turned on for 4 -6 days (I have a gas line, not a propane tank). This in Southern California where we have very dry conditions! 

Any thoughts on whether I should make a claim to cover the gas costs... not sure I can find out exactly what they are for that specific period.

More than anything I'm just so upset about their carelessness and the possible consequences!

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

4 Replies 4
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Abb believes that a bad review is your primary recourse for such things. 

Best I can tell, there is no recourse for recovering wasted utilities. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Yvette67 

@Kelly149  has got it right Yvette, claiming this will get you nowhere, and it is just one of the things you have to stay on top of. Carelessness and thoughtlessness are a couple of major traits in the guest community.

I had this happen a couple of years ago, a guest asked if he could cook up half a dozen sausages on the barbie so he could eat them cold after he left. I directed him to the barbecue and even lit it for him. That was at 8.00am. That night around 11.30 pm after I had called it a day, as I was turning in I walked down through the barbeque area and immediately felt the heat from this still sizzling away barbie! He just cooked his snags, pulled the lid down and walked away....and we are on bottled gas Yvette.....that effort cost me about $24.00! 

These things do all teach us something though Yvette!

I have also the situation a few times where I did not turn a gas tap off properly and the next time I go to use the barbie, the cylinder is empty. So, guest Lee's effort with the snags was the last straw. I installed a timer tap on the propane line, and after 40 minutes it automatically turns off. I don't have to bother to turn the supply cylinder tap off any more, even if I get carried away and in my haste to eat forget to turn a burner tap off, the timer valve takes care of it for me.....It was a good investment Yvette, maybe you should consider one yourself! This is readily available in Australia and my guess is it would be the same in the US!

Gas valve.png

Cheers......Rob

Yvette67
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Thank you Kelly and Robin for your responses and suggestion!  I'll always listen to an Aussie when it comes to a Barbie situation!

My barbecue isn't propane but maybe there is a similar option for a regular gas line.

I do wish there was a penalty for stupidly careless behavior but I'm dreaming!

@Yvette67 God bless us everyone, I’m sure I could retire if an idiot tax on guests was allowed by abb. 

If only...