How do you handle Guest Reviews?

Answered!
John915
Level 3
New York, United States

How do you handle Guest Reviews?

Hi all!

I know there has been discussion around this but I can't seem to find the relevant conversations so I'll start one anew. 

How do you as hosts handle reviews?

As a host, I have nothing interesting about a guest to say unless they were exceptionally bad or exceptionally great so my standard review is something like "Great guest, welcome back anytime and recommend you host". Historically I've left that review only if a guest leaves one so I can read his/her review but the guest's review will be posted regardless. 

So to hosts, what's your policy? Do you just not leave reviews for guests? Going forward, I am not going to bother unless someone steals a microwave or is otherwise horrible. Unfortunately I think that's a diservice to other potential hosts but I just don't see any benefit to leaving a review for a guest, even if they have left one for their stay.

Curious as to how other hosts handle this. 

1 Best Answer
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

I leave a review nearly every time and I get many one nighters. The only exception are very cold people, that do nothing wrong, but are very standoffish, but not enough to make me furious, about 1%. 

I check former reviews and the profile: people with many reviews  get a short one. People with an empty profile get a good description for the sake of future hosts. People who tell me about future travel plans, may get a review in that language if I speak it and they have already local ones. Repeat guests may get reviews in different languages, to vary it a bit. 

For an empty profile, I may write that X was a young/middle aged/ elder man/women, if they were charming / nice / interesting/ or don’t mention it, if they communicated their plans, sometimes that they were well organised, experienced travellers, if they left the place in good order. As I often rent a shared room, I add things about the sharing part (interesting conversation / quiet / self sufficient, if any of those apply. )

I don’t mention house rules, it reminds me too much of boarding school. Anyway, if they don’t intend to keep them, I will make them 😉 

for a full unit rental, if they breach an important rule like No Smoking, I write it. 

If I’m furious, I may take a week to calm down, but most of the time, I write it on departure day, to avoid confounding guests. Most people write reviews for me, probably because they get the notification. 

Another point, why writing personal reviews is a good idea: some people return and I have no memory oc their stay at all till I read my own review 😉

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27
Devin-and-Sarah0
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

Honestly, even if it's a short review, it helps. Leave a review whether good or bad. The first thing I check after getting a reservation is what other hosts have said, then I check what the potential guest has said to me (most of the time I see if they mentioned why they are staying at my place), then I respond with further questions or a simple "we are looking forward to hosting you, we will have everything ready upon your arrival"

If you guys found this response good. My wife and I have a blog post on Airbnb hosting/traveling at www.Airbnbuniverse.com We'd love for you to stop by!

Devin & Sarah, Superhost and Bloggers
Nancy115
Level 5
Mills River, NC

@John915 I leave succinct reviews that indicates if the guest was exceptional or not. Since hosts can only rate guests on cleanliness, communication & house rules, I indicate which of these areas apply. For example, "X  was a wonderful guest; tidy, communicative and quiet. Highly recommend." If the guest fails in one of these areas, I knock down their rating accordingly and leave the verbiage out of the review.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nancy115  Then you are missing the point of the written reviews when a guest's behavior is less than desirable.  As a host, I can't see what individual star ratings you have given a guest- I only see their average star ratings and the written reviews. So you could have had a guest who left your place a mess, and I would have no way of knowing.

@Sarah977 Sarah, if the guest is not a good fit for Airbnb for some reason, I do indicate in the review.  For example, "X was not a good fit for a shared home experience. I recommend they use hotels for they're travels. Fortunately I've only needed to leave these types a reviews a few times in over 3 years of hosting. I do provide honest feedback to the guests in their private review. 

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I always leave reviews for guests and always expect them in return.

A few sentences normally unless they did something annoying in which case they get an extra sentence.

A comment on communication, how they left the place and anything else of interest.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

We have had some pretty great guests who deserve great reviews. I see reviews as an endorsement to other hosts so I definitely am effusive if our guests have been fantastic. Especially as we are pet friendly-- there is a lot of anxiety about that in the host community, so I like to say if the guests cleaned up after their pet, left the place free of damage or hair, etc. There are a few guests I really want to come back because we have enjoyed having them so I say that too-- I hope they come back and that I recommend  them highly to others. 

Recently we had a rather rude guest. Not a positive communicator. Entitled. Complained about obscure things that had me scratching me head wondering why anyone on Earth would care about such silliness. Left a bunch of literature about their home town in our pamphlets for area attractions-- a home town that is several hours away and has nothing whatsoever to do with our space. Left his obscure preferences in our guest book "for next time I visit." This person had no previous reviews. I only thanked him for choosing our place instead of anything further and rated stars accordingly. 

@Laura2592  At least he didn't leave a pile of religious literature. One host here had some guests leave tons of their religious brochures- they made sure to tuck them in everywhere they could possibly find. The host was hilarious- they sent a message to the guest something along the lines of "We found many of your pamphlets you forgot when we went in to clean- would you like us to mail them back, or shall i just put them in the recycling box?".

Oh my gosh! That is hilarious. I think this person was just trying to let future guests know that where he lives is definitely a lot more interesting than where our place is. Good move on asking about mailing😁

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Reviews are a two way street and whether good bad or indifferent, are important to all of us on this platform, for many obvious reasons. We have a responsibility to be leaving them, both as guest and host. My daughter had a recent stay, left a review and wondered why she didn't get one in return (had she done something wrong? She didn't think so) so she asked and got this from the host "we generally don't review our guests, unless there was some egregious behavior. We're too busy to be bothered, honestly." Too busy to be bothered. I shake my head at the shortsighted selfishness of this host. They don't deserve to be a part of this COMMUNITY, IMO.

@Colleen253 you're right. Those hosts just didn't understand or care about the social contract.

@Colleen253 Jeez, what a thing for a host to say, "too busy to be bothered". What does it take, like 3 or 4 minutes to leave a review? I can see guests not wanting to bother, considering the pages of questions they are asked, but for a host it's the simplest thing. I consider leaving reviews as another part of my job description as a host, just like cleaning the room, communicating with guests, and making sure all the amenities are in place when they arrive. Hosts like that obviously consider their job to be over as soon as they get paid for the reservation.

@Sarah977  It takes me 30 seconds now that I cannot write a review on the computer, therefore I keep reviews as short as possible.

But can I ask if someone else is having the same problem? I cannot write reviews on the computer, I cannot answer an Inquiry on the computer - only through the App-phone.  

Devin-and-Sarah0
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

I always review our guests so future hosts get feedback. Both positive and negative experiences should be mentioned in the guest review.

Devin & Sarah, Superhost and Bloggers