Guest accusing of stealing. How to respond?

Lofty0
Level 2
Phuket, Thailand

Guest accusing of stealing. How to respond?

We have guests in our villa. One of the bedroom AC broke down on 30/12 at night. All AC companies/supply providers are closed until the day they check out. We provided mobile AC unis (2 of them) they keep complaining that it's not enough and they're hot, they're also saying that we took 2 bottles of whisky while trying to fix and bringing the units.

I don't want to be unpolite to them but they keep messaging non stop.

"And the ac is not working from past two days
And just tell me one thing what should i do now
Where should i go at this point of time when your main main bedroom is not good for us"

At this point I don't know what to respond.. they should have gone to airbnb on the first 24 hours... I think they just want a free stay...

6 Replies 6
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Lofty0 sorry you are having bad guests. Did you bring the AC units for them or did other people?? Is it possible that someone took their liquor? 

How long are they suppose to stay? If it is a short stay - I would call Airbnb and ask them to please put them somewhere else - that your AC is broken. That way you will have a technical problem. I hope you don't have refund them. I wish you good luck. Contact and be really nice to Airbnb and ask for their help. Keep us posted - wish I had a better answer. I would get them to be moved out to another place because they will no doubt write a crummy review and probably you will lose monies. So end it quickly. That's how I would want to deal with it. 

I don't have any other place available. The city is packed. 

It was our maintenance team (one of them is my partner), they've been working with us for 5 years without any issues. They're just staying 3 nights, they'll be out in the morning.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Lofty0 so did someone on ur maintenance crew steal from them? To is is a big deal....hope it works out! 

Of course not! Some of them are even muslim!

Guest just said that our staff took 2 suitcases full of scotch... That's just insane! 

@Lofty0 we as hosts turn to Airbnb ....don't wait for and expect guest to do that. If so I think you will certainly not get the best of treatment and the deal will NOT be looking good for you!  We sometimes have to be very proactive. Happy hosting... 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry  I can't agree with @Clara116

If I had been in your situation @Lofty0 if the guest wasn't happy with the temporary air conditioning I would have asked Airbnb to cancel the booking under extenuating circumstances, as the guest was not happy with the solution you found. It would then be up to Airbnb to work with the guests to find an alternative.

Who brings two suitcases of whisky on holiday with them. I think you are correct they are looking to create problems.

I would leave an honest review for these guests, saying you did your best to resolve a last minute problem  with your air conditioning and that the guest wasn't happy with the temporary air conditioning and accused your Muslim business partner who doesn't drink alcohol and who has provided maintenance for you for five years with stealing two suitcases full of whiskey.

You are an airbnb management company with multiple properties so much more experienced than most hosts on here including myself. I am sure you know that some guests are more difficult than others. The important thing is to leave an honest review and remain professional.