Guest being difficult, and offensive, and culturally insensitive.

Oscar315
Level 1
Pittsburgh, PA

Guest being difficult, and offensive, and culturally insensitive.

We just started a new arbnb last week and was trying to maintain a good profile. I hosted a couple last week. My check-in time is 4-10 pm and the woman kept bugging me to make it earlier for them. So I got the room ready by noon and informed her, but they didn't show up until 10pm at night. They arrived and everything seemed fine.  I constantly checked with them and accommodated their requests of using the backyard and the fire pit. They told me the bed was collapsed -- but every time I went to them, I saw them staying in bed just fine. Anyway, I provided them some fruit as compensation. 

I went to work early Monday morning, when I got home in the afternoon I found out that they took one of my Chinese moon cakes, which were stored in a closed metal box. I messaged her and she said they thought those were for guests. I explained the situation, told her that I travelled 40 minutes to get these for my family, and they play a vital role in our celebrations. She apologized and she offered to have a box shipped to my place. Then all of a sudden, she said light refreshments were common from hosts. She became extremely defensive, expressing their dissatisfaction of the room, complaining that I didn't replace the towels in time (we have four towels in the bathroom) and that her boyfriend's arm got scratched from the wreath on the door???? She also said that if I don't let his go, she would not write a good review for me. Lastly, since I asked $5 to replace the mooncake (they are not cheap and normally it costs $20-$30 a box and is only available during mid-September), she thought that I was creating a drama and that this was all about money.

I had all the conversation on file and reported her to Airbnb. I also wrote a negative review about her. I sent a money request to her but she never responded. 

I still feel very upset, offended, and disrespected. Any suggestions on addressing this situation?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Oscar315 is going through all this worth for only 5$? She is out of line for blackmailing you but hosts do often leave cakes and chocolate, fruits or coffee and tea for guests so it might have been an honest mistake. I don't think it is that big of a deal to be honest.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Oscar315 as a new host great reviews are much more important to your success than income. You have invited a bad review from this guest. $5 is not worth troubling your guest with, especially for what was undoubtedly an honest mistake. Learn from this to be very clear what amenities are accessible to guests and what is off limits. If your bed needs repair, fix it. Don't take guests' behavior personally. 

Lucia135
Level 2
New York, NY

Hosting Rule  # 1 :

ALWAYS put important things OUT of the reach  of any  STRANGER  that you just invited into your home..

-----

When you take something that doesn't belong to you... Does it matter the price? 

Is it ok to make a lobster meal since it was in the fridge too and I was hungry?

5 dollar food or 50 dollar food, same context, you took it and didnt ask.

It's up to the host to give  food or water if they choose.   Its not ok  for  guest to expect to be fed and eat your food. 

Secret : When you leave a review it has a thumbs up or down...  Point the thumb in which ever direction your heart goes despite what ever comment you leave.

Good Luck