Guest cancelled and left review

Guest cancelled and left review

A guest recently cancelled last minute and asked for a refund.  Unfortunately we couldn't offer one per our policy.  She was upset and left a review.  I have not reviewed her yet so cannot see her review but assume it is negative.  Since she didn't actually stay with us and cancelled the reservation, should she be able to leave a review at all?

3 Replies 3
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jamey-and-Michelle0

she shouldn't but the same thing happend to us last month. Guest didn't show, I contacted Airbnb and told them it was a no-show but we still got the possiblity to review her.

You should contact Airbnb and ask them to remove her review bc she cancelled and didn't stay.

Or, you can leave her a review (and an answer on her review) something like "this guests cancelled before arrival and we didn't host her" . But I would do this only in case if Airbnb would not remove her review.

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Jamey-and-Michelle0 if the person did not stay, she should not have the right to leave a review. Since the reservation never got canceled, I think that Airbnb is not aware of this, so I suggest that you reach out to Airbnb and explain that she did not stay. This happened to me before... A guest did not stay and asked for a refund, I have a strict cancellation policy, so NO refund. He left me a bad review because of that which is an extortion and against Airbnb policy. I called Airbnb and explained the situation and they removed his review because he never stayed and he also did leave the bad review just because he did not get any refund that he did not entitle to at the first place.

Catherine288
Level 1
Bristow, VA

AirBnB did nothing to resolve this same exact non-guest review problem I had.  They booked and canceled the morning of arrival.  She was very upset that she could not be refunded, and I shared with her and her husband my policy for cancellation cleared stated on AirBnB. She shared this was their 1st time booking and she didn't understand she couldn't be refunded so left me a very negative review.  I don't feel this was fair to me the host, having never actually hosted them.  Second, when I contacted AirBnB a month later they told me the review could not be removed.  Hence my own 5 star rating has been unduly influenced for well over the past 2 yrs down to a 4.8 all because of this person's negative rating, who was never an actually guest. It is very frustrating that her review can not be deleted, even though it was requested. This practice of AirBnB allowing non-guests to leave a negative review needs to be changed and updated for the benefit of all host.