Guest damaged motorized awning on RV during an Airbnb rental...

Karen57
Level 2
Springfield, IL

Guest damaged motorized awning on RV during an Airbnb rental...

A guest put out an awning during a terrible storm (house rules said use of the awning was not permitted) and it ripped and broke the structure free of the RV causing thousands of dollars of damage. 

I received this message from airbnb after i called:

Lance P., May 8, 13:02 CDT:

Hi Karen ,

It is my pleasure speaking with you awhile ago. Again, my name is Lance. I am one of the Case Managers in Airbnb.

I'm sorry to hear this happened. If you haven’t spoken with your guest about the damages, we recommend starting there.

Hosts and guests are often able to come to an agreement using the Resolution Center without needing to involve Airbnb at all. To start your Resolution Center claim, visit: ...

Our $1,000,000 Host Guarantee takes over when damages exceed your security deposit—or if you didn’t have a security deposit in place. For more information on what the Host Guarantee covers as well as a list of common questions, visit ...

If you think your damages meet the Host Guarantee criteria and you were unable to resolve this issue with your guest, contact us and a member of our team will determine if you're eligible to submit a payment request.

Since I have determined that this will qualify for a host guarantee you can just reply to my email with the documents and I will be the one to personally forward your request to our Trust and Safety Team who will do the investigation and process the funds if it qualifies.
As mentioned earlier documents are your best option to ensure assistance from our Trust and Safety Team so my advise is to take as much documents as possible.

I hope you have a nice day ahead. If you have a follow-up question, please let me know by replying to this email.

Thanks,

Lance

Can I assume that when you all say they don't honor the guarantee that the reason he isn't responding to my pleas for help is because AirBnb doesn't plan on helping at all?

I am still within my 14 days for another 48 hours... quick help appreciated. 

Karen

hosting for less than a year with three properties... 

Springfield, IL 

3 Replies 3
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Karen57

You do need to follow his instructions for any claim to be considered- have you (via the platform) contacted the guest re this? If you haven't then do so immediately. Depending on their response (i.e. They may own up and agree to pay) you will then need to open a case in the Resolution Centre. You will also need to take lots of photos get 'official' repair or replacement estimates

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Karen57 also those 14 days only apply if you have NOT checked another guest into the property after the original guest's stay. In other words, you must have the damage report fully in place within 14 days of checkout OR prior to any other checkin whichever is SOONER. Why are you waiting, get those docs uploaded ASAP!

full disclosure, I have been fully paid both times I have presented a Resolution Center claim, but it certainly seems (from unpleasant tales in the forums) that you must adhear to all rules and all timelines.

Karen57
Level 2
Springfield, IL

Closing the loop on the Resolution here... Kudos to Airbnb... They stepped up and paid the host guarantee -- while not every cent on the claim, certainly fair and sufficient to make me whole again. I appreciate the help!!