Guest emptied pantry

Simone954
Level 2
Piermont, NY

Guest emptied pantry

I am a new host. My space has a nice full kitchen which I stocked with some basic food items for making some breakfast, grab a healthy snack on the go, heat up one of the packaged soups when arriving late, etc.

A couple with a newborn (my second guests) stayed for one night only and left this afternoon 5 hours past check-out time. They had asked for an additional discount so that they could afford to stay close to where the husband had a job interview.

They left my place pretty clean but took about $35 worth of snacks and food out the cupboard,

basically cleaned me out. 9 KIND cereal bars alone cost about $12. A whole box of cereal, several other snack bags and more.

8 bottles of water.  I am so disappointed that someone would honestly think that this is ok to do. Am I at fault not making it clear to guest to be considerate when helping themselves? 

23 Replies 23
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Simone954  Sorry you had such entitled guests. Yes, you either need to make it clear what is expected in terms of the amenities provided, or only put enough in the unit for the number of people and length of stay (I'd recommend the latter). Some guests will assume that what is there is all for them, however unreasonable and inconsiderate that may seem to us, and some are just users who try to help themselves to as much as possible. Hosts have had guests walk off with 24 packs of toilet paper, for instance.

Also, as reported ad nauseaum here on the forums, guests who ask for discounts usually end up being entitled guests. There is no need for you to acquiesce to requests for discounts. A simple, polite response if asked is the way to go- "No, I don't offer discounts, as my listing is reasonably priced for my area and what I provide " sort of thing.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Simone954 it might be a little suprising, and most people won't do that, but generally if you leave consumables in the space you should expect them to be consumed. Leave only what you're OK with providing.

I have no problem with people consuming within reason. 9 large cereal bars+ all the other food was not what a normal person would consume in the 24 hours that they stayed. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Simone954 

Yeah Simone this does happen, not often but there are some guests who will never feel they have got value for money. In 300 Airbnb reviews this has happened about 5 times.

I have a medicine cabinet on the wall in the bathroom......

IMG20180315212607.jpg

It is stocked with around $80 worth of first aid things from headache tablets, band aids, all types of bandages, ointments and creams plus gloves and pressure bandages.

A guest came in asking for a band aid, she had cut her finger! I told her there were plenty in the medicine cabinet and said she looked and there was nothing in there, just an empty box. I couldn't believe it so I had to have a look for myself. Sure enough she was right, even the scissors, nail files and cotton and thread had gone. That guest had a true ' scorched earth' policy...and the irony of it was she gave me a 4 star for value!

Another one had a field day, she got into my restock cupboard! I like to supply a block of chocolate for each guest........

IMG20190707144057.jpg

I had 24 blocks of Lindts in the cupboard before that guest arrived....when I returned to the cupboard after she left, I had 15 left.

The problem, you can make a song and dance about it to Airbnb, you won't win, the amount is so small it's not worth risking future bookings by opening your mouth. I just embarrass them privately in the private review feedback by saying something like ....."We all like chocolate, we just hope that our guests will respect that others may like a block too! The restock cupboard wasn't part of what I offer! I would like to have hoped that you would  have understood that"  I immediately got back a very stern reply...."What did you mean by that"!

I sent a message back saying that, "The restock cupboard is essential for me to continue hosting! As you would have noted there are items in there that I need to draw on for each guest. That cupboard is not something I simply check every now and then, it is something I use when preparing for each new guest. I have more than a vague idea what is in there between guests. I am sure you know what I mean!  But  the great thing about hosting is, every guests teaches you something. This experience has helped me and I thank you for that, I now have a lock on the restock cupboard" !

Never heard another word from them after that.......and although marked down for value, I did get a 5 star review which they no doubt wouldn't have given if I had made a complaint to them when they left!

Simone, learn from the experience where food is concerned give them a cupboard they are entitled to use or even clean out if they wish and put a lock on your pantry, give them a 3 star review for house rules indiscretion and criticise them privately so they get the message!

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4  You'd definitely want to have that cupboard locked if I were your guest. I love those Lindt bars 🙂 But I think my conscience would stop me before I managed to consume 15.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarah977 

Her appetite was not quite that big Sarah, my chocolate larder went from 24 blocks to 15....she thought she ought to stop at 9....maybe she thought my maths skills were not sufficient to tell the difference.

It was the indignant way she got back to me though  Sarah.....how dare I accuse her of stealing........sorry, 'finding'  those silly errant blocks of chocolate! Stuff like that has no right to continually keep taunting guests. Any host who flaunts temptation and puts in a poor guests way like that has no right to be a host...... 😱 

I straightened her out though!

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4 on my most generous days with my eyes crossed I could maybe just about convince myself that a guest was sufficiently naive enough to think they could help themselves to the chocolate ( not really)

But I"m genuinely shocked by the medicine cabinet. No one in their wildest dreams could have thought substantial medical supplies in a home rental  was bonus extra to take home with you. Especially when it's mounted on a cabinet on the wall ( i realise they didn't take the cabinet, so they did show some restraint)

That's just flat out stealing IMO - no other word for it.

Thank you, Rob. I called the person and explained that when people decide to list their spaces on Airbnb it is not because they are independently wealthy or they are bored out of their minds. It is to have an extra income for various reasons. Kids in college, help with mortgage, save to retirement, etc. She did not get it after all. Kept saying " I did not know not to take it". I learned my lesson. I put a cute note on the inside of cupboard to be mindful and think about the next guests...

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Simone954, MOST people would understand that they are not supposed to help themselves to everything, and you are hardly at fault for failing to make it clear. One would assume that people would know not to just take stuff. Sadly, there will always be the occasional entitled guest. Do you have another cupboard you can lock as @Robin4 does? You can put all your restock stuff there and just provide enough that is reasonable for the stay. Also, as @Sarah977 said, experienced hosts are only too well aware that when a guest asks for a discount, it's a big red flag. Avoid these guests at all costs.

Thanks, yes. No more discounts.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Simone954 in my view this is entirely the guests' fault.

No reasonable person would think that £35 worth of groceries was for a one night stay, especially multiples of the same item.

I guess I've been lucky...

@Mike-And-Helen0 

Oh Mike, or Helen, I have them walk in and proceed to whip a bottle of wine out of the rack and open it, don't for a second think to ask! Many of them will leave with a book or two in their suitcase. 

In general guests like the homely touches and feel of the space. but seriously sometimes I think I should just rent out something like this!

Motruary bed.jpg

Albeit with pillows and a quilt for those cold nights!

Cheers..........Rob

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Hey, @Robin4 , there's a unique place to fit every guest. I think pillows would be a bit generous, though. A burlap bag stuffed with your garden waste instead would go well with that decor. 

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Simone954 

It's a nasty experience to have had, but in a way good to have early in your hosting career. Unfortunately  you have to limit your generosity a lot or you'll be taken for a ride,

Only leave out what you are prepared to have consumed and dont' provide anything you can't bear to have lost/stolen/broken.

I'm not very good at this sort of thing, but you could just about get away with leaving them a c tongue in cheek review     like   XXX and his family were enthusiastic guests with a keen eye for a bargain. They left my house clean adn tidy. I' so glad they  felt sufficiently relaxed in my listing to help themselves liberally to a  several weeks supplies of food and drink during their one night stay.    That's too blunt and not very clever - but you get the idea. There's a couple of hosts who are really good at this sort of thing - they'll be able to offer better advice re this if they look in. Do leave appropriate feedback and stars though, to warn other guests.