Guest installed adhesive child safety locks

Jennifer1178
Level 2
Norwalk, CT

Guest installed adhesive child safety locks

Without asking, a long-term guest installed adhesive child safety locks onto the outside of my cabinets and Im worried that if I pry them off, they will ruin the cabinet finish. 

Im a bit frustrated as I have new guests arriving and dont have adequate time to figure this out before their arrival, or the next bookings arrival. Any thoughts as how to handle? Charge the guest? Ding them in a review? Ask them privately to cover? Reach out to AirBnb? Ive not experienced this type of issue before so thanks for any input! 

Jen Farris

3 Replies 3
Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

@Jennifer1178 I’d call Airbnb first, and report it. Then you can ask what to do - then you know whether or not your actions are inline with policy for the Host Guarantee to cover the damage.

Then you can try to remove them, and if it damages the cabinets, you can charge the guest.

My biggest advice is you have to do it now though, cos once the next guest checks in, it becomes very messy trying to prove who did what.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Jennifer1178  Take photos.  Take a photo of every single cabinet where they put adhesive.   

Maybe try something like goo gone, which is oily so would hopefully not strip off the finish.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

What a 'tacky' move, no punt intended.

First, try to remove them and if they present no problem, then makes everything else a moot point. The default nowadays with Airbnb should always be - try your best to keeps things simple and not get them involved with anything if you can help it.

P.S. Always peel such adhesive items not outward, but peeled backwards.