Guest is threatening us with bogus reasons. Can I get your insight on this?

Nanette1
Level 2
Manila, Philippines

Guest is threatening us with bogus reasons. Can I get your insight on this?

Hi everyone. Thank you for taking the time to view my thread. I have a bit of an issue with one of my guests. He booked with us for five nights. After his first night, we received a message from him saying that he is not satisfied with the room, stating that the toilet does not flush properly, and that he had to kill over 14 insects while inside the room (according to him, half of them were coming out of the faucet).

To give a little insight about us, we own a 3 story bed and breakfast with hotel similarities. So we have front office and housekeeping present inside the building during operating hours. The odd part is that he didn't even call our attention regarding this. He simply left his key inside the room, left the door WIDE OPEN, walked past several staff members in the hall, lobby, and entrance, the sent us the message.

We always make it a point to check each room prior to each guest's arrival (to check the AC, TV, lights, water pressure, etc). The room was in good working condition when we gave him the keys, otherwise we would not have given that room to him. So we did an inspection after we received this message. We found that an excessive amount of toilet paper was used to clog the toilet (about one whole roll) which makes us believe that the clogging was intentional. The guest then used the toilet while it was clogged, left all the doors open, and closed all the windows which spread the smell all around the room.

I messaged the guest and informed him that the room was in good working condition (aside from the toilet which was only clogged due to an excessive amount of toilet paper). Also, he did not call our attention to the room so that we could personally inspect it before he left. This leads me to believe that he simply changed his plans, and wanted to make up a reason to get a refund. (although I did not even hint at this in my response for the sake of professionalism).

There are a few other sketchy things that he did. He sent us an alteration request to change his reservation to only one night. He said that if we accepted this, then he would leave us a 5 star review with no description. (Obviously it's against Airbnb rules to use reviews as leverage, so we respectfully declined).

After we declined him, he informed us that he would be informing Airbnb about this, and would leave us with a 1-Star review (Clearly a threat, which Airbnb has rules against).

He also stated that he owned an SEO Marketing company, and that he would destroy the reputation of my Bed and Breakfast all over the net. Which is obviously libel that we can sue him for.

And finally, he's using false identifications on Airbnb. Upon check-in, we always request for an ID of the guest for documentation purposes. He informed us that his Airbnb name is different from his real name. I did a background check, even the cellphone number he provided was false. The number belonged to a Russian woman living in California.

I just wanted to share this story, does anybody have any suggestions on how to handle cases like these?

8 Replies 8
Michelle-and-Ray0
Level 10
Kimberley, Canada

Call AirBnB immediately and report it. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The guest is nothing but a ruthless low-life hustler, that is obvious. Airbnb will (or should) take anything he does or says in that light, if you get a somewhat sane CS case manager that is. He can threaten you all he likes, but he is stupid by threatening (I assume this whole exchange was via Airbnb's message system); with that move he just lost all 'leverage'.

Yes, prewarn Airbnb via text immediately, so it is on record, and then wait to see what this character's next move is. And Airbnb's.

@Fred13- Thank you! And yes, he did use the AIrbnb chat log. So all he can do now is threaten us. We reived a response from Airbnb regarding the message I sent them. But we didn't reeive any message regarding a refund from our guest. So we have the pre-emptive strike on him.

Nanette1
Level 2
Manila, Philippines

Thank you @Fred104 and @Michelle-and-Ray0 for your insight. I sent a message to Airbnb, and they informed us that they would take down the review once our guests writes it. They also suggested that we consult a legal advisor if ever the threat pushes through. In which case, we can really sue him and his "company" for libel.

Thank you once again, happy hosting!

@Nanette1, it sounds like you handled things properly and are (so far) keeping this bad person from being able to carry out his threats.

It is a good example of how following safe host practices can really help prevent bad guests from taking advantage!

Hi Nanette, we are having a similar issue with a guest.  How did you contact Airbnb?

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Miranda-And-Roger0 I did this today... In the App I went to the customer reservation > then 'Help' > Then 'Contact Us' at the bottom of the screen.

I would expect the computer version should be the same.

Hi Ian.  Thanks for your help.  I found the button and message sent.  Will wait for a reply.