Guest review made me sad

Maryam43
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Guest review made me sad

As a host who wants to go above and beyond to provide outstanding hospitality and memorable stay for guest , I received 4 stars overall exprience from a group of Guest.  they were a couple  stayed in a luxury 2 beds  apartment , but requested for the second parking spot and although we provide everything  for their stay , in addition to celebrate christmas days together , We provided this couple a bottle of wine. As it was a new listing  we even set up a discount on our rates and they paid about $80 per nights in Ottawa , Canada for a 2 bedrooms 3 bathroom suit and finally gave us 4 star for value ! I really dont know what should I write as a response.

Very disappointing.

14 Replies 14
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

How disappointing. Many hosts will tell you guests on bargain rates are often the worst.

What did they mark you down for?

It's probably not worth saying anything.

Can't see any negative reviews on your listing BTW.

that review drove me down from overall 5 to 4.9
I managed them second parking spot on-site, a bottle of wine and the price they stayed was significantly fair.

that guest also gave me 4 for the location which I can say in this neighborhood, its a prime location. walking distance to everywhere. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

While frustrating there are no negative reviews. I wouldn't offer a bottle of wine etc when you are offering discounted rates.

@Maryam43 This are the worst guests (I had 1 out of 74).
All smile during the stay and they getting great reviews.

On there end they often giving "neutral/ok" written reviews BUT leaving low star ratings.

In my opinion the only, fair and effective reply would be:

"...Future Hosts be aware: Guests are very hard to please!..."

Not every host here agrees with me... but this is the only way to alarm other hosts and its not contradicting a possible great review

YOU left for YOUR guests...

I love that do you said.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Maryam, you have nothing but wonderful written reviews on your profile. Try not to worry about the numbers and keep on being a great host.

Joy252
Level 2
Scottsdale, AZ

Every person we've had leave a negative review of any kind had done something to harm the property. 

We had a woman in March not leave a review (thank God), but sent the nastiest review.  Nothing would have been enough for her.  She even complained that there were no dish towels.  (There was one folded over the oven handle and SIX more under the sink.)

Imagine my surprise when, after they checked out, I realized they also stole all of outdoor patio furniture from the property.  My guess is that she sent me the nasty message, with a notation that she wasn't going to say anything publicly, as insurance that I wouldn't report her as a thief.  It's just now, many months later, that her motivation became clear.  This whole time, I've thought she was just a mean thief.  

Another long-term tenant dinged our property for cleanliness, saying as his basis "I couldn't find a mop" (it was in the laundry room next to the washer he used regularly).  His ding came after I said I was withholding his deposit for losing his keys, requiring us to re-key the property. 

Yet another dinged us for cleanliness, but failed to mention that her dog ate the couch and we had to replace it.   

Maryam43
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

@Giedre-and-Andre0@Joy252@Emilia42@Helen3

Hi everyone. thanks for your valuable feedbacks. I really could not stay away review how I host them and read that review! so I posted a reply on the users feedback :

"Hi ** and thanks for sharing your feedback. We always strive for a 5-star experience and we go above and beyond for every single guest to achieve that. However, some Guests are very hard to please! even though if they stay in a stylish 2 beds 3 bath condo with the 2nd parking spot for free and a bottle of wine upon arrival to celebrate these beautiful Christmas nights together and pay only $80 per night, from their perspective the value of the place is 4 out of 5. Anyhow, we are happy indeed that you enjoyed your stay."

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Maryam43, I wouldn't be giving any discounts, as the guests who ask for them or specifically seek out a discounted property are often the hardest to please and many times are also poor guests as far as leaving damages, etc, as others here have mentioned. 

Hold out for better guests who will pay the appropriate higher price. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Maryam43

Remove your response if you can!! No one but you knows they gave you lower stars. It does not break it down by guests. You are now making yourself look bad by saying negative things about a guest seemingly to others for absolutely no reason. Your response to them should be the same with any other positive comment. Remember, your guests see only comments. They see overall stars but do not know who did what.

You can also reach out to the guest through the messaging system asking them what they feel you could have done to earn five stars.   

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Maryam, this particular guest will never see your public response, only future guests looking at your listing will see it. It is best not to comment on low star ratings since no one knows what "score" they actually gave you. The review is good and fine but your response draws awkward attention.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Maryam43

when we started hosting I forgot to change the price for NY eve. French couple instant booked NY eve for the regular price  and then gave us 4* for value.

The next year we increased the price 3x and got 5* .

So, what does it tell you? 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0
Exactly. that's the worst thing could happen for every host. when I have 1 day gap between 2 reservation , I always text the guest who wants to stay either before or after the gap that book this additional day for 50% off if you can extend your stay. if they dismiss it , I apply the 50% off instead of smart pricing for that specific date. ( my regular price for 2 beds 3 bath is $90/n and cleaning fee $80 )

so a guest comes and takes advantage of this deal and do late booking ( and pay $45 for room + $80 for cleaning + tax ) and at the end gives us 4* for value . It's obviously not possible for us to reduce the cleaning fee in this circumstance as it will apply to all other available dates in calendar and sounds risky.  but when they pay the regular price or higher nightly rate, they are happier!

Marie-and-Owen0
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

There's also the issue of "star inflation"; in my early days of travelling around Europe I gave 4 stars for "as advertised" facilities, and 5 stars for exceptional. This was not unusual, but now 5 stars covers everything from good to exceptional.