Guest says no keys left for them, I say they were...

Guest says no keys left for them, I say they were...

I had 3 guests check in late last night and normally when I prepare the room for the guests my final check includes putting the keys on top of the house manual before exiting the room.  The keys are not only a regular door key but an expensive remote for the gate.

About 30 minutes after check in I get a message asking where the keys where.  Pretty sure that I had pointed them out on the table when checking them in I wrote back saying as such and even put a smiley face thinking they were being a bit silly not able to see the keys.  Anyhow the guest continues to say there are no keys so I offer to give them the spare set in the morning before they want to go out for a walk.

I've literally turned the house upside down and the keys are nowhere to be found.  They checked out this morning ( after agreed check out time and not without a fair bit of encouragement!!!) and when I was doing the room changeover I searched everywhere for the keys, even in the bin!  No sign of the keys.  Checked with the last guest and he definitely didn't have them.

So now I am a set of keys down and the cost of replacing the remote control for the gate is about the same as what I earned from hosting these (first time) guests.  Not sure if I have a leg to stand on with Airbnb or the guest.  The guest continues to deny the keys were there so my only guess is that they grew wings and flew away to a magical place with all the other lost keys....

I'm yet to leave a review for the guest.  Given they stayed beyond agreed time and the keys went missing on their watch, any thoughts on what to do next?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mel2....Hell Mel, that is a strange one! The problem is, you can't actually accuse your guests unless you are 100% sure that the keys were there when they arrived. Does anyone else (cleaners, repairmen) have access to the hosted space in between bookings? 

I have a problem, but on the flip side of the coin....guests always leave something behind! I gave a ride to the shops for the last guest and a couple of lipsticks, and I guess, a lucky stone fell from her bag and ended up on the floor in my car. After a bit of thought I sent her a message saying that I had found these items....she was overjoyed saying that she could not find that shade of lifstick in her area and could I please post the items back to her. Well $8.50 later, the items are on there way back to her! Just that bit of carelesness on her part cost me more than the insurance on the cottage for the duration of her stay....I wish people would do an 'Idiot check' before they leave....cheers.....Rob

Hi Robyn,

Thanks for your input in regards to my problem.  I'm 99.99% certain the keys were in the room when I checked the guests in....alas still no sign of them.  Anyhow it's prompted me to change my "system" for check in.  I now physically put the keys into the guests hands under the guise of showing them how the remote controlled gate access system works.  So far so good!

Thanks again and all the best.

Mel

@Mel2 This is not strange, it's very common. Guests loose the keys and don't want to pay for their replacement. If they don't accept their mistake you will have difficulty getting the money although I would contact airbnb resolution center and try. You have learnt an expensive lesson. Now be sure to point out the keys during the welcome tour and mention their location in your correspondance. You may also want to consider alternatives to keys.

Hi Raymond,

Appreciate your straight shooting.  Your words "an expensive lesson to learn" have been on repeat since the event!  As mentioned in my previous post I have now changed my system and I think this will work well.  I may also consider updating my manual to reflect that any lost keys will be raised as a dispute with Airbnb.  Hopefully this will be the end of the expensive lessons!

All the best.

mel

@Mel2 Thank-you very much for the update. May your future be full of interesting exchanges with guests and free from problems. All the best R&E

ice_screenshot_20160223-124119.png

Michelle0
Level 6
New York, NY

Mel, 

I would look at this as the cost of doing business. It seems strange your guests would lose the keys so quickly, so it's certainly possible something else happened. That said, this isn't the first and won't be the last loss to occur. When renting your home, there is all sorts of wear and tear and these expenses should be built into your pricing.

I would say don't make yourself crazy by now needing to greet each guest in person. Instead, try using a lock box for the keys or taking a photo as proof you left them there?