Guest wants to leave early with refund

Anastasia43
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

Guest wants to leave early with refund

Hi guys,

I have a guest who originally booked for 7 nights, but decided to come up with unreasonable complaints and now is asking to change to 5 nights. (He was there for 2 nights, so 3 more days) It looks to me like a sudden change of plans rather than actually disliking the apt. I politely replied to his comments and said I will give him 50% refund on the last 2 days. He sent me a request for the change of dates, but it doesn't take into account that I don't want to refund him 100%, so I'm not sure if I should accept it. My cancellation policy is Moderate. Please, advise me how to handle this.

5 Replies 5
Tania-and-Andrew0
Level 10
Cancún, Mexico

If the guest has already complained and is still looking for things I would give him 100% refund just to minimize the chance of a bad review. Ask him to go through their booking and alter the reservation from 7 to 5 nights and pray there's a last minute booking that will cover the nights left by your guest. The payment probably has already been issued so it will not be taken away from your account, you will just not get paid on your following bookings or done an adjustment.

I am sorry this happened to you, it's not fun at all, I have a similar experience on Christmas/New Year's week 2016 and had a guest who "accidentally booked the wrong dates" changed her booking from 5 nights to 2 when my minimum was 4 on that month. You live, you learn!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Anastasia43

Hi Anastasia, this is unfortunate for you that this has happened and diplomacy is probably your best course here.

If it were me I would have a talk with the guest and state that the payment had already been made by Airbnb for the duration of the original reservation. Try to discuss something that is mutually aggreeable, and then go to this guests reservation and click the 'Send or Request' money box and type into that box the amount you agree to refund. This way it will all be handled through ABB so there will be no confusion about who does what and, most imprtantly it will stop the guest trying to open a complaint through the Resolution Centre which could result in him having his entire amount refunded.

Any money which you agree on will be taken from your future hostings so, although you will be a bit out of pocket you still stand the chance of getting a reasonable review and keep your good record intact.

If you are having any issues with this Anastasia get onto the Sydney number 85203333 and explain your situation. They are pretty good and will help you to sort this out.

I hope you get a lot of great guests from here on, hey!

Cheers.....Rob

Rachel97
Level 2
Rochester, NY

I had a guest leave two weeks early ... met some new friends in town and decided to stay with them. I got no notice and Airbnb sided with the guest.refunding their money! I was furious and my affection and loyalty for Airbnb went right out the window.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Rachel97

It's most unusual for Airbnb to side with a guest that simply changed their mind.

Are you sure you didn't get a message from Airbnb asking if you were happy to cancel?

That would be totally wrong of Airbnb to do that but I have learned with Airbnb, it really is about who calls first and who handles the complaint/concern. If I even suspect that my guests may be about to "pull a fast one", I contact Airbnb myself. I have a STRICT cancellation policy but I still had a guest fast talk her way into a refund on a lame excuse.