Guests Not Researching Entry Requirements

James2566
Level 9
Holetown, Barbados

Guests Not Researching Entry Requirements

I wonder if any hosts can share insight into the issue of guests "instant" booking without researching basic entry requirements for our country, notably whether they'll have to quarantine upon arrival. Many of my requests include questions like:

1. Will I be free to walk around?
  2. Will I have to quarantine on arrival?
  3. Can I quarantine in your home?

And often, no questions at all, and these turn out to be guests who had no idea we had any entry requirements at all.

I'm finding myself in the position of answering bookings and booking requests with:

1. Where will you be quarantining?
  2. Have you looked at the Barbados entry requirements?

Today, somebody instant-booked and assured me all they needed to come was a negative test. So I went to our government website and confirmed to myself what I already knew, that any and all individuals from their country need to quarantine at a government-designated hotel for up to seven (7) days. So, without assuming anything, I asked if they'd received a special permit from our government to skip the quarantine period. Who knows, maybe they're a surgeon coming to perform an emergency, life-saving surgery, I try never assuming.

I prompted them to avoid fees by confirming this as soon as possible (knowing that they'd booked my calendar, blocking it for other guests). Within minutes, they cancelled their booking and said they didn't realize they'd need to quarantine. "Last we heard, all we needed was a negative test".

I'm baffled by the lack of research before booking a stay. I'm also wondering how much responsibility the rest of the hosting community takes in educating and guiding guests about their country's entry requirements. I am updating my listings to state we're not a government-designated quarantine facility, but even still, I find people are instant-booking without a single bit of research. I informed this guest that some research could go a long way into avoiding being diverted, upon landing, to a bus towards a government facility (?!)

I'm spending so much time daily communicating with new inquiries about our country's protocols and AirBnb doesn't allow the sharing of links before booking so I have to point them in the right direction. Yes, I have templates but I also feel concerned and implored to urge guests to do some research. As well, I don't like the responsibility of being a "government agent", making any guarantees about how soon guests will be able to roam free on our island.

A question I'm asking myself daily is, if I were to book a stay in any country right now, would I really ask the AirBnb host about what's required on entry to their country? My answer is no, I simply wouldn't trust Jane Doe who owns a flat in Germany to guide me in this process that could severely impact my holiday. In Barbados, if you arrive without the proper paperwork, you're sent to a government-funded facility where you're served a boiled egg and share a room of bunk beds until you test negative a few days later. Is it my responsibility to share this with each guest who can't be bothered to do a little research?

I am so curious to hear other experiences. What concerns me most at present is our "instant book" function and helping guests after booking to realize it's not as easy as sliding into our home upon landing, which is a great surprise. It would help if AirBnb lifted their no-link-sharing policy before booking so we could at least include links in our initial correspondence with new inquiries.

Thanks for listening!

The Johnsons
5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Why don't you just put a short overview of the current requirements at the beginning of your listing description? You can alter it as needed when things change. I should think this would help not having to keep answering these questions.

It isn't just the pandemic mandates that guests don't bother to research. They book places in the tropics and then freak out that there are insects, they book remote, rural locations and then want to leave when they find out there are actually bears and other wild animals around. Or assume that they'll have high speed, unlimited internet in paces where there is none, and it's even stated in the listing info that the Wifi is spotty and unreliable. They book a apartment in the heart of a big city downtown area and then are upset because there's traffic noise.

@James2566

I have definitely had this happen - I've had several guests book, for example, from the States, and our borders are closed. Luckily I have a flexible booking policy so I've simply sent them a message like "Hi there, thanks for your interest in my place. Just want to be sure you're aware that our borders are currently closed? If you need to cancel you can do so with a full refund before X date."

As for if a guest asks me about the requirements (which yes has happened), I tell them that I suggest they familiarize themselves with the guidelines and what would apply to them as they are best suited to understanding what particular restrictions apply to them. I then remind them about my cancellation policy, and that if it turns out that they cannot enter the country, or must quarantine, etc. that I will be adhering to my cancellation policy.

This seems to be totally fine with most guests, and all my guests who booked from the States simply cancelled and apologized.

@James2566 

Similar to what @Sarah977 suggests, you could include a disclaimer saying guests are responsible for checking entry/quarantine requirements prior to booking. And include a link to your government site (or give them a specific phrase they can copy+paste to do a search)  in your booking confirmation message, along with a reminder about your cancellation policy and (if it's the case then) NO, they won't be allowed to quarantine at your home. 

If they do end up an a government facility, it's on them. As a host, reminding them that THEY need to do it seems good enough. IMO, it's not the host's responsibility to check if guests have correct paperwork to enter a country or guide them through quarantine requirements or provide visa related information. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @James2566 

Sadly many travellers are woefully ignorant when it comes to such an important area related to their travel.

I put a reminder up front in my listing of our current travel restrictions. @James2566 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@James2566 It sounds like Barbados isn't really "open for business." Quarantining at a government-designated hotel for up to seven (7) days before one's desired stay is no small task. This information should be plastered all over your listing as well as in your Instant Booking message that guests must respond to when they book. 

I did have a look at Barbado's official tourism site and COVID information is not front and center. I briefly looked but did not see any clear info about the government-designated hotel for quarating. I think it is only natural for people to want to reach out and ask questions from people on the ground.