Guests making me feel unwelcome in my own home

Anne1325
Level 9
Melbourne, Australia

Guests making me feel unwelcome in my own home

Hi,

I'm only new to Airbnb as a host. We've priced the room with mezzanine in our house low as to get some hosting feedback so are getting a lot of backpackers through. Great, I love meeting different cultures and sharing a glass of wine with them!

Our first guests were a lovely Dutch couple who did their own thing and retreated to their mezzanine living area most nights. Still they were happy to have a chat/bite/drink with us and were pleasant when running into them in the living or kitchen. They left great feedback and said they would have loved to stay longer as we were such kind hosts.

I now have a couple over that makes me feel unwelcome in my own home. I'm stuck in my bedroom most of the time as my sheer presence seems to irritate them. Walking into the kitchen to make a cup of tea results in a grumpy hello but only if prompted, then a quick glance at each other and continuing in their native tongue as if I'm not there.

They will not speak to me unless prompted and if I attempt to sit on the living room they pack up their stuff in a hurry without saying goodbye. We tried everything from cooking dinner for them one night to offering beers but they'll take the beer and just lock themselves in their room with it. It seems they don't enjoy my presence, which is fine as we don't need to be friends, but I just feel like I'm in their way in my own house. As a result they occupy the living room and we are in bed straight after dinner as to not disturb them.

Is this normal or am I too sensitive? I would hate to be locked in my bedroom all the time with future guests in which case Airbnb might not be for me.

30 Replies 30
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Another life quote @Anne1325 to remember: really is worth considering as a life skill, not just as a host. 😊

Set your agenda, or someone else will set it for you........”